North Sulfur River at night

KimTexan

2 hours ago, John S. said:

Great adventure. I’m glad you are ok. Def some things to watch out for at the Sulphur. I’ve been threatened to be shot(not sure why), wild pigs surrounding me or almost landing on me, hunters shooting right over my head not knowing I was below, and im assuming tons of snakes at night. Crazy out there but still worth it :D

Yes, there are very few places that I hunt more than once or twice. NSR is one of those places with quite a bit of variety. The mixture of vertebrate and invertebrate is a desirable feature. I really like the place though for its peacefulness and solitude.

It was hot enough for snakes, but I can honestly say I have never seen a snake out there. I’m sure they have to be there though. I’m not bothered by snakes. They don’t scare me or creep me out. I’ve got a healthy respect for them though. I am creeped out by mice and rats. I hate them. 

I really wanted to go out to the NSR today after the rain, but I had to pack for a camping trip and drive down close to the camping location. Otherwise I was going to have to get up at 3:00 to meet my group to leave at 4:30 AM. 

@KimTexan Kim, I have been sick this week and just noticed your report. As I said before, I love reading your adventures, it brings the  romanticism back into fossil collecting. You are the Forums own Ms. Indiana Jones. 

As as mentioned by another member, I will have loved to see if anything was exposed by the collapse of the river bed.

As @JarrodB said, the Lifestraw is a good piece of equipment to carry with you. It is cheap, lightweight and easy to carry. The one big drawback of the Lifestraw is when you you it, it is like trying to suck the thickest milk shake that you ever had- it takes a lot of effort. With that said, I always pack it as a backup filtration device when I backpack. I would also recommend the SteriPen- works very well.

Lastly, great finds and keep adventures coming.

• I found this Informative 1

On 3/29/2018 at 9:30 PM, KimTexan said:

So, have any of you seen this pattern before on ammonites and if so do you know if it is naturally occurring in the fossil or is it from some secondary cause?

Paleodictyon came to my mind as a possibility for those patterns.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Now THAT was quite an adventure. Yes, a Lifestraw is essential. Keep on with fossicking. Thanks for the story. 

Hi, Kim, no i've not seen this kind of pattern before. Abyssunder could be right with his proposition of paleodictyon. As to me i really wonder what it can be, because the paleodictyon patterns are made by animals living in the sediment in very low depths. So i'm not sure it is one, unless if that ammonite has lied low and time enough to have the necessary conditions and thickness of sediments for those animals to live.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

That looks like the actual shell of the ammonite and most of what I've seen have been steinkerns from there. Not greatly familiar with the area of course. Would be interesting to see what it looks like under a UV light if it's shell.

On 3/29/2018 at 11:59 PM, Nimravis said:

@KimTexan Kim, I have been sick this week and just noticed your report. As I said before, I love reading your adventures, it brings the  romanticism back into fossil collecting. You are the Forums own Ms. Indiana Jones. 

As as mentioned by another member, I will have loved to see if anything was exposed by the collapse of the river bed.

As @JarrodB said, the Lifestraw is a good piece of equipment to carry with you. It is cheap, lightweight and easy to carry. The one big drawback of the Lifestraw is when you you it, it is like trying to suck the thickest milk shake that you ever had- it takes a lot of effort. With that said, I always pack it as a backup filtration device when I backpack. I would also recommend the SteriPen- works very well.

Lastly, great finds and keep adventures coming.

Ralph, 

I was wondering why I didn’t see any posts from you on TFF. I thought about messaging you to check on you, but I was headed out of town to go camping Thursday through Sunday and I didn’t have any service out where I was. I am so sorry to hear you were sick. You must have been pretty sick to not even be on TFF! I hope you’re fully recovered now or on your way to it.

“Ms. Indiana Jones” that’s pretty funny. I do love adventure. Occasionally I bite off more than I can chew.

SteriPen - I will check it out.

Regarding the avalanched material. Numerous times I have looked at some of the Pleistocene layer that has collapsed, but didn’t see anything in it. If one of the Cretaceous layers comes down too there is sometimes stuff in it depending upon what layer it is. I’m a bit nervous about checking some of the piles out because often it looks like more is likely to come down too. Some of the piles are quite large. As in 8-10 feet tall or so with an even larger width of base. Those types of avalanches would kill a person. So, I’m not too keen on hanging around and checking them out while too fresh most of the time. Often they will leave trees hanging by a few roots. The tree will eventually come down too.

On 3/30/2018 at 4:46 PM, abyssunder said:

Paleodictyon came to my mind as a possibility for those patterns.

Thank you for the idea.

I did look into that, but from what I understand the Paleodictyon are seen at depths of 2400 meters  or more below sea level. Needless to say the area was more likely an inland sea, but definitely not that deep. So, I’m not sure if it could even be Paleodictyon.

2 hours ago, Plax said:

That looks like the actual shell of the ammonite and most of what I've seen have been steinkerns from there. Not greatly familiar with the area of course. Would be interesting to see what it looks like under a UV light if it's shell.

The material found in the Ozan is usually not steinkerns. I can only think of burrows as the only steinkerns being found out there.

The ammonite is definitely original material. The river bed is covered with Inoceramus clams with a thin white layer from their shell being present, often with mother of pearl present. The body of the clams are not general well preserved, being largely shale.

I think one of the fragments of the ammonite may even have ammolite on it. Either that or just really colorful mother of pearl. I just saw it last night after washing off other the mud.

2 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I did look into that, but from what I understand the Paleodictyon are seen at depths of 2400 meters  or more below sea level. Needless to say the area was more likely an inland sea, but definitely not that deep. So, I’m not sure if it could even be Paleodictyon.

Paleodictyon is not restricted to a certain depth and has a large temporal range.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 3/29/2018 at 12:40 PM, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Resurrected Placenticeras.  Lo res pic all I have access to at the moment.  There is micro texture to the tessellated surface nearest the aperture.

image.png.2bf55c0abfc858c2452c2869d8fe1c2c.png

CA287EDE-0C6A-4F42-A966-D09D28F929CC.jpeg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

any chance these are clustering oyster attachment remnants? (still guessing of course)

Is it possible these markings could be baby ammonites? I don't know anything about their reproductive process. I found this picture on the internet.

IMG_4337.PNG

On 29 mars 2018 at 6:35 AM, KimTexan said:
Part 2

This part doesn’t have any fossils. It’s the rest of the story. So if you’re all about the fossils you may wish to skip this post.

I left off where I was standing in a grassy area and had 30 min to find a road or something to make my way to a safer place.

The field had once had cattle, but it looked like it was months ago. I realized that a rancher would have to drive out to the pin. In the twilight light I looked for signs of a road in the grass.

I saw a path maybe 50 feet away and began walking it. It was in the opposite direction of my car, but I took it anyway. In less than 15 minutes I came to a locked gate. On the other side was a well maintained dirt road! “Thank God!” That helped me feel a lot better. I walked about a half a mile and the road split left and straight. I stopped to contemplate my options. I didn’t know where the road would lead to. I believed it would join the paved road which ran East and West, but I wasn’t certain if it would. I chose to continue straight to where I believed the paved road must be. About a tenth of a mile later I changed my mind. I reasoned that since my car was in the general direction of the other road that I should take it. Both roads looked equally maintained at the split. 

I walked back and took the other road that had gone to the left. It began to slope downwards, which meant I was headed towards the river again, closer to my car. I walked about 1/3 of a mile down it. The sun had set about 20-30 minutes before. Now it was almost completely dark. The quality of the road began to worsen, which made walking it difficult in the dark. 

I heard a pack of coyotes break out howling in the distance ahead of me to the left followed by a second pack ahead to the right, almost as if in response to the first pack. I slowed my pace almost to a stop as I began to rethink my choice of roads. Then I heard the squealing of a wild pig fight brake out ahead to the left a little ways off, only closer than the coyote pack. 

I chickened out. I turned around and headed back up the road to the original road I had been on. I walked maybe half a mile and saw faint lights in the distance. When I finally came to the lights I realize with disappointment that they were solar powered LED lights mounted on a gate and an old barn. I took off my pack and sat down for a rest in the dim LED light. I drank more of the river water. It was surprisingly sweet and refreshing even with the touch of grit. There wasn’t much left so I only drank a few sips to try to save it until I could get more.

I could only see the silhouette of the barn in the darkness. I thought “This could be my potential shelter for the night as a last resort”. I determine that the worst that could happen to me was that I might spend a sleepless night in some pest infested barn and be eaten alive by mosquitos. I knew I’d be fine. In the morning I could easily make it to my car since it would be light again. My body was so tired. By now I had been walking for over 2 hours without more than 2-5 minutes rest, mostly because of the mosquitos. As long as I was moving they didn’t bother me. I laid down on my backpack to relax for just a minute, but the mosquitos were swarming me again. I couldn’t really relax with them constantly swarming like that.  As I sat there I thought how the friend I had told where I’d be was probably freaking out because I hadn’t reported back by the appointed time. I had never not reported back before. 

I put my pack back on and started walking again. It was very dark, but occasionally a faint light reflected off the clouds onto the ground around me almost as if the moon were shining down, but it was little more than a sliver. The little light enabled me to just barely see the road in front of me. It was a good road without potholes, ruts or rocks. I was thankful to have such a road at a time like this. Despite my situation and being alone in such a desolate place I felt like God was watching out for me and helping me even in my stupidity for getting myself into this situation.

There were trees and shrubs along the road that made it almost seem as if I were walking through a tunnel. The light cast amorphous shadows on the road. It seemed so peaceful and calm here. 

I finally heard a vehicle far away in the distance. I stopped to listen. I believed the road I was on would eventually intersect with the paved road, but I wasn’t certain. I listened to try to see how far away the paved road was from where I was. As I listened it sounded like it passed the road I was on about 1.5 miles away. It was reassuring to have confirmation and to know the road was that close. 

When I finally reach the paved road I planned to head for a house about 1.5 miles away to ask for help to get back to my car. I hoped they were home and willing to help me. By the time I got there it would be almost 10:00 PM. 

I grew up far out in the country in Arkansas, even more remote than this place. People in rural communities are generally very friendly, hard working, down to earth, good people who are for the most part very hospitable and willing to help those in apparent need like mine. So I had little concern that nobody would be willing to help me.

I continued walking and came to a hill on the road. I walked up the hill and to my surprise when I crested the hill I saw a tall bright light!! I couldn’t believe my eyes! I walked towards it to be sure. It was off the road through the trees maybe a hundred feet. It had been obscured by the hill. “Could it be a house” I wondered? I was elated and nervous at the same time. I tend to be on the shy side. It is breaking the ice that I have difficulty with. I never know what to say and always feel awkward not knowing what to say. Once I get past breaking the ice people often say it is like they have known me all their lives. 

I entered the dirt driveway. It was about 9:00 PM. Some farm equipment and a couple dooly pickup trucks sat in the drive. Every window of the one story house was lit up. The street light illuminate the drive and part of the yard. I saw people sitting on the front porch, but not well. I called out “hello” a couple times, but no one heard me. I came around one of the doolies and a dog lay there in the front yard. I paused a moment waiting to see if the dog was friendly or aggressive. He looked at me and lazily scratched behind his ear with his hind leg and then turned to look at the people on the porch with hind leg still in mid air, almost as if to see what they’d do about me. I called out “hello” a couple more times as I walked towards the porch. 

Now I could see 3 large men were sitting on the porch having a beer. I am dating myself, but if you know who the character Hoss Cartwright, from the old TV show Bonanza was the men were of that size and build. They stopped talking and turned to look at me. I said “hello” again and apologized for interrupting them. I explained that I’d been out hiking in the river and had trouble getting back to my car before dark and I needed help. One of the men stood up from the porch swing he had been sitting on next to another man.

I still stood in the yard and I paused waiting for them to say something. The man still sitting on the swing was named Mickey. He asked if I’d like to have a seat. I obliged and expressed my sincere gratitude. Not sure if I reeked of garlic or not. I asked if I could please have a cup of water that I’d run out of something to drink a while back and was dehydrated. One man went inside and brought me a glass of water.

I began telling them of my predicament, where my car was and the path I’d taken. They seemed astonished that I’d walked all that way and been out there in the dark. One man named Bubba asked for clarification of where I’d come from. I told it again. He said “You mean you came up from the river and out to the end of this road and walked the whole way to here?” I said “yes, that’s the route I took.” He shook his head in disbelief and said “You sure did walk a long way.” 

I kept saying “Thank God.” As I sat there. I was so relieved to have found help and that I wasn’t going to have to spend the night out there exposed to mosquito swarms all night. My body was also relieved to be able to sit down and rest and be able to drink all I wanted.

The explanation over we continued talking, each telling me a story of a timed they’d been lost in the same area. They talk of the river and told stories about it. They talked about the land and local area and some of its history. They spoke of how the area was growing up and getting so much more populated and busy. I carried on the conversation with them. 

The women were in the house with the kids.  They came out one at a time with a toddler, listened to the conversation for a bit and then went back in. I asked if they ever hunted the river for fossils. They all said no. They hunted coon, deer and hogs though and told more stories of it. 

I asked for a refill.  

They started asking about fossils. One said they had heard an almost whole mosasaur was found in the river once a long time ago. I told them about someone, @believerjoe who had recently found a good portion of one in the past couple months until the big rain came and washed out whatever was left. The conversation went on so easy, almost as if I were their neighbor.  

Mickey offered me his phone # and said “Next time you came out give me a holler.” He also said that if I was ever out there and got in trouble or a fix again that he wanted me to call him. He said if he wasn’t home he’d call one of his buddies to come help me out. I told him I most certainly would if I had service wherever I was.

I finished my second glass of water and asked if one of them would be willing to drive me to my car. One who went by Bubba, aka Johnny, said he’d take me back to my car. He lived in Wolfe City. His family had lived in the area almost a hundred years. He was a ranch hand at a local cattle ranch and hay farm. He walked out to what looked like a 4-wheel drive dooly crew cab pickup truck and I walked around to the other side and got in. It was almost 10:00 now. He started driving, turning back down the way I’d came. He drove to the road that I’d chickened out on and headed down it. He told me my car would be on this road. Sure enough about 3/4 of a mile down there was my car. He also gave me his number said to call if I ever needed anything when I was out that way. He said he had friends who drove their 4 wheelers down in the river. He was sure they’d be willing to take me to hard to reach parts of the river for better hunting if I wanted. I thanked him for the offer.

I got in my car and drove home, over an hour away.

The next day I texted Mickey and Bubba to thank them so much for their help and hospitality to me the night before. 

If you remember I had dumped my tools and some fossils out in a field. I texted Mickey to ask if he knew who had the key to that gate so that I could drive back in there rather than hike back in to get my stuff. He didn’t know who had the key. He planned to go out there himself and get my stuff for me, but he wasn’t sure where to find it. He sure tried his best, but he didn’t know that area. I met him on the road by the gate and told him thank you again and assured him I could manage getting my stuff.

This is the map of the area I was in. The blue is where I parked and my trip to the river. Red is my trip out. Green is Mickey’s house.

8B23D4E6-E9E1-410C-84DE-B22B6C56C459.jpeg.24147ae99b1075e20cf5b9f81a7a28ff.jpeg

This is a picture of the road I walked that night during the daytime.
DE114600-FC5C-4FB0-A9F0-EA5AEE20BF2F.jpeg.b2ac070d0827a0af37b119709eddb910.jpeg

The lessons I learned:
1. Go back the way you came. It wasn’t an ordinary forest. Most forests don’t have those washes/creeks like that.
2. Take more fluid than you think you’ll need.
3. Always take a light even if you plan to be out before dark.
4. Take a backup power supply for your phone.
5. Sometimes good things can come out of bad situations. 

Needless to say I’m so thankful I didn’t have to spend the night out there. I don’t need that kind of adventure.
Thanks for reading my post.

Great adventure indeed, you found very nice people.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 4/3/2018 at 7:09 AM, Plax said:

any chance these are clustering oyster attachment remnants? (still guessing of course)

No, I see a lot of oysters attached to stuff and these don’t resemble that at all. It goes below the external shell, mother of pearl layer. You can see where it has flaked off and the bumps are still there.

F71AFED8-A49E-42E1-984B-141354CCBC7D.jpeg.5b0bec0fbeb08b446b4cb0a11739e0d8.jpeg

@abyssunder and @Malone   we would not see those below the shell surface though. Right?

If the texture isn’t part of the shell structure then I think it must be from some geologic process. But I don’t know that it isn’t part of the shell, except I’ve never seen it before.

I’m prone to think it is geological personally.

3 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

I would say the pattern is a biological pattern, not seen in the natural mineral world (unless looking at extreme micros).

It also looks like it is a part of the shell structure.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

9 hours ago, KimTexan said:

No, I see a lot of oysters attached to stuff and these don’t resemble that at all. It goes below the external shell, mother of pearl layer. You can see where it has flaked off and the bumps are still there.

F71AFED8-A49E-42E1-984B-141354CCBC7D.jpeg.5b0bec0fbeb08b446b4cb0a11739e0d8.jpeg

@abyssunder and @Malone   we would not see those below the shell surface though. Right?

If the texture isn’t part of the shell structure then I think it must be from some geologic process. But I don’t know that it isn’t part of the shell, except I’ve never seen it before.

It looks like a layer of hydroxyl apatite flaking of an unknown creature. I am not the person to ask. I have nothing to offer but an opinion. Extremely interesting! I anxiously await the thoughts of people who definitely know more than I in this area.

On 4/6/2018 at 7:29 AM, Malone said:

It looks like a layer of hydroxyl apatite flaking of an unknown creature. I am not the person to ask. I have nothing to offer but an opinion. Extremely interesting! I anxiously await the thoughts of people who definitely know more than I in this area.

The unknown creature is definitely an ammonite. What is flaking off is the shell exterior. Some parts have the mother of pearl pearlescence still present. 

The innermost mother of pearl layer (arongonite) of the ammonite is what you see flaking off. The next layer, calcite, has already disappeared. 

F71AFED8-A49E-42E1-984B-141354CCBC7D.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The innermost mother of pearl layer (arongonite) of the ammonite is what you see flaking off. The next layer, calcite, has already disappeared. 

It's very cool! I didn't know that about the layers. I had thought that the hard parts of shells were usually hydroxyl apatite. The same stuff in teeth. Learn something new frequently. That's why I said I am not the person to ask. I thank you for including me in the conversation even though I have little certainty of these matters it's nice to be included!

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Since learning the chemistry of the mother of pearl. I also learned the nano structure is responsible for the iridescent quality. It reminds of pollia condensata. The appearance of the material is due to the structure of the nano crystals. By the way pollia condensata is the shiniest natural thing. I tried to get seeds but wasn't able to acquire any.

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I thought I had read something about hydroxyl appetite in fossils. Technically it seems to vary by species and the environment in which fossilization occurs. I have attached pictures of one article on the subject. There are numerous articles though. None that I have read completely. I could read articles and studies for the rest of my life and never come close to comprehend the infinite complexity of life. It is great to marvel at it and participate.

IMG_4677.PNG

IMG_4678.PNG