Gmr Trip Report

sweeneyb

This past Sunday I finally had a day off from work so decided to make the trip to GMR and met up with Mike, John, and a couple of other folks from New Jersey who were on vacation. I was there from about 9-5 and here are pictures of all my finds most of them I found in one hole that I dug about four feet down where they was a log that had been burried. I found a couple of great whites, two that were almost complete and a bunch of fragments. Somehow I also found a good number of Crow shark teeth one that is fairly large and complete. Also found a couple really worn down megs with the enamel worn away as well as a fish vertebrate.

I am unsure as to what the two fossils are pictures seperately. One looks like a tooth still attacked to bone but it isnt a ray crusher I dont think then the other looks like some type of impression. Pictures of both the front and back have been posted (last two pictures).

I wish had a working camera to bring so I could have taken in screen shots and on shovel shots of what I was pulling out along with groups shouts, but there is always next time.

post-502-1250007989_thumb.jpg

post-502-1250008050_thumb.jpg

post-502-1250008081_thumb.jpg

post-502-1250008126_thumb.jpg

Planning another trip Sunday to GMR if anyone is interested. It all depends how I feel tomorrow after the 6 hours of all I can eat beer, bourbon, and bbq and this festival :)

Thanks for posting, interesting finds!

Is this one of those parks from where people go up a river/stream? As a west coaster, just trying to understand GMR.

Is this one of those parks from where people go up a river/stream? As a west coaster, just trying to understand GMR.

Yes, it sure is. Basically, I just park my car at the local park and walk through the park until I hit the creek.

GMR is a broad creek with several smaller feeder creeks. When the level is low, several sandbars are acessable for collecting; either by screening, or picking up material as 'float'. In the last few years a number of people have started mining into the banks which has increased erosion dramaticaly.

Be true to the reality you create.

Additional pictures including the IDs needed. Thank you for your help once again!

Sweeney,

The fossil on the right is a ray dermal denticle-possibly Myliobatis sp. It's missing the "tooth" that should be where the center is open. My initial thought on the left specimen was it might be a carp tooth, but I'd be a fool to bite the bullet on that one. Sure is interesting tho. Wish it was my specimen.