Plesiosaur from Morocco

Troodon

22 minutes ago, Troodon said:

A new Plesiosaur,  Thililua longicollis from the Lower Turonian of Goulmima morocco.  No mention of formation but have to believe its the Akrabou Formation of the Kem Kem beds

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/5/3/172177

Quite interesting indeed. Though usually the Kem Kem beds refers to just two formations, the Aoufous and Ifezouane formations.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

The paper on moroccan fishes puts Goulmima assemblage within the Kem Kem Beds.  Might be that the Beds are just so uncertain that best to deal with facts and not speculation 

Thanks for the info, my friend @Troodon. Too bad they have not invented a mega or super-informative button here at TFF! :o

I think the formation was not mentioned, maybe because the fossil was bought. In fact many fossils that have already been scientifically described of Kem Kem beds were bought. So scientific data of exact location and other details, unfortunately is lost. But I thank the Gods that this wonderful skull has fallen on the right hands, not on a dusty shelf of an old fossils collector.

But in this case, if I understood correctly, the sediments of the Goulmima assemblage (Akrabou Formation) are predominantly marine, this?

So this explains why my fossil of Enchodus jaw was discovered at Akrabou Formation. :D

image.png.2387a181c5a188bbf5722e6bc4bf3ac6.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

editorial note: Bardet decribed Thililua in 2003("new species?:headscratch:")

refuth4g2teeetrrey22m353plwillist.jpg

Archived