Another sponge

Ludwigia

I posted a little report a few days ago about my latest outing to the Danube Valley and now I'm adding this as a sort of after-thought. I had already deposited this sponge in its unprepared condition in the dregs crate since I just didn't have the inclination to clean the matrix out of the interior. Sponges are anyway just a byproduct of my search for ammonites and I always keep telling myself you've already got enough of the things. Well, my grandson was over for a visit the day before yesterday and he spotted it. Now he just loves to putter around in the workshop when he's here, and since we had some time on our hands I figured I could let him have a go at it. He did a pretty good job at hollowing it out before his mother came to pick him up, so I thought I might just as well finish it off. Today I sat down to scrape off the last bits with the stylus and it suddenly broke up into a few pieces. No problem. Just glued them back together and finished it off with the air abrader. I believe it was worth it in the end, since I believe I have a genus which I don't have in the collection yet. I'm not really sure, but at least it looks that way. Sphenaulax sp. ? from the late Jurassic Kimmeridgian. Length: 10cm. Diameter: 12cm.

Po_101a.thumb.jpg.304efd6d79783f086bf85ae3a57d12f0.jpg

Po_101b.thumb.jpg.78c15015a19f85e72372495bb77fe33a.jpg

Po_101c.thumb.jpg.a3d5aebca4bd6274fbfc896d65ef30d2.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

A lovely sponge. :) It is even more special given that your grandson "made his mark" on this one. Perhaps one day he'll exceed the excellent prep skills of his dear ol' gramps. 

I can't help with ID, but it is a great piece with nice detail. Well done - to you and your grandson. :) 

For some reason, this gives me the warm and fuzzies - something I'm not really accustomed to. :D 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Great story and fossil! :D 

Congrats on the new find!. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

I posted a little report a few days ago about my latest outing to the Danube Valley and now I'm adding this as a sort of after-thought. I had already deposited this sponge in its unprepared condition in the dregs crate since I just didn't have the inclination to clean the matrix out of the interior. Sponges are anyway just a byproduct of my search for ammonites and I always keep telling myself you've already got enough of the things. Well, my grandson was over for a visit the day before yesterday and he spotted it. Now he just loves to putter around in the workshop when he's here, and since we had some time on our hands I figured I could let him have a go at it. He did a pretty good job at hollowing it out before his mother came to pick him up, so I thought I might just as well finish it off. Today I sat down to scrape off the last bits with the stylus and it suddenly broke up into a few pieces. No problem. Just glued them back together and finished it off with the air abrader. I believe it was worth it in the end, since I believe I have a genus which I don't have in the collection yet. I'm not really sure, but at least it looks that way. Sphenaulax sp. ? from the late Jurassic Kimmeridgian. Length: 10cm. Diameter: 12cm.

Po_101a.thumb.jpg.304efd6d79783f086bf85ae3a57d12f0.jpg

Po_101b.thumb.jpg.78c15015a19f85e72372495bb77fe33a.jpg

Po_101c.thumb.jpg.a3d5aebca4bd6274fbfc896d65ef30d2.jpg

Very nice, indeed! Great find. 

very nice specimen

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

2 hours ago, Kane said:

A lovely sponge. :) It is even more special given that your grandson "made his mark" on this one. Perhaps one day he'll exceed the excellent prep skills of his dear ol' gramps. 

I can't help with ID, but it is a great piece with nice detail. Well done - to you and your grandson. :) 

For some reason, this gives me the warm and fuzzies - something I'm not really accustomed to. :D 

Well, you never know, maybe he'll end up working for a museum, but with 9 he's still got lots of time to make up his mind.

2 hours ago, TqB said:

A beautiful specimen. Sphenaulax fits but I'm never sure with sponges!

That's the way it goes with me as well. Those beasties can develop a seemingly endless number of forms within a species, let alone a genus.

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great story and fossil! :D 

Congrats on the new find!. :) 

1 hour ago, Phevo said:

Very nice, i love sponges

1 hour ago, EchieMysticTx61 said:

Very nice, indeed! Great find. 

50 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

:faint::envy::faint:

18 minutes ago, Herb said:

very nice specimen

Thanks, everyone :D

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice sponge!:D

Looks like a bird nest though, are You sure of the ID?:headscratch:

I didn't find it in a Chinese restaurant, so I'm pretty sure :P

Looks like one of the warm winter hats I have. Warm and fuzzy like @Kane said.

I have no idea what species it is (no sponge guy), but I'd like to have something like that, regardless. 

Seeing how good your grandson did, maybe you could teach me the ins and outs of prep one day. :ighappy:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

9 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Looks like one of the warm winter hats I have. Warm and fuzzy like @Kane said.

I have no idea what species it is (no sponge guy), but I'd like to have something like that, regardless. 

Seeing how good your grandson did, maybe you could teach me the ins and outs of prep one day. :ighappy:

Germany is well known for its garden dwarves. I'll be glad to give you some tips once you've flown over here :D

Nice find, Roger!  I don't yet have any sponges in my collection so, like many others, I am :envy: :)

How old is your grandson, by the way?

On 29.3.2018 at 11:19 AM, Monica said:

Nice find, Roger!  I don't yet have any sponges in my collection so, like many others, I am :envy: :)

How old is your grandson, by the way?

He'll be 10 in May.

Nice hat! :D

But seriously, that's a beautiful specimen, great find! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice hat! :D

But seriously, that's a beautiful specimen, great find! :wub:

You should come up here someday and collect one for yourself :D

15 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

You should come up here someday and collect one for yourself :D

Oh, if only............

One day..............:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png