Mystery Ordovician Fossil (Graptolite?) - Fillmore Formation

Olenoides

Here's a mystery fossil from the Lower Ordovician Fillmore Formation of Utah.  My initial impression is it must be a graptolite, but I've never seen any graptolites from this formation with this structure and I can't find any graptolites in my research that look like this.  The other thing that's throwing me off is the "rod" running down the middle is preserved actually fairly 3d where every graptolite I've seen is preserved as just a flat film.  For reference the specimen is about 2" tall including the middle section still covered in matrix.  Any ideas?

IMG-0079.thumb.JPG.c6e0fd96ee71c72b6fc779df2b2df793.JPG

that is cool, I have some 3D graptolites from the Ordovician of KY.

1110082244097980090.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Maybe it's a sponge, something in the line of Vauxia.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Interesting...

There are graptolites preserved with some 3D as Herb point out (I have one but not from the Fillmore Fm), but on yours I don't see any theca as you would expect on a graptolite. I may be wrong. I like abyssunder's idea.

Do you think the item at the top is on the same plane as the bottom one, and the overlying layer could be removed to see more of each - maybe they connect under there? If I were you I'd want to get it prepped to find out.

Yes, the two exposed areas of the fossil are on the same plane and I believe are connected.  Unfortunately I was never able to find the rock that connects in the lower half of the specimen.  I will get it prepared out more at some point.  

Archived