Advice choosing a paleontology dig

Digdibs

I am planning a trip with my 12-year-old grandson (and future paleontologist) to a dinosaur dig this summer, and would like to get some first hand advice on choosing a good outfit.  We can go about anywhere in the U.S., several days to a week, but since we'll likely be flying we can't easily bring along much gear of our own.  I've researched dozens of dig sites.  Some sites were outdated, some sketchy on details, some had age limits or are already filled.  PaleoAdventures and Hell Creek Fossils, Dinosaurs of the Western Slopes are possibilities, but I would welcome any comments on organizations to avoid, or ones you have had a good experience with.

PaleoAdventures is the one I'm familiar with when it comes to dinosaurs.   I know the owner, he is an expert in the Hell Creek Fauna and very respected by paleontologists.  Walt is one of the best I know and does great with Children.  I met a number of people, at a local motel where we both staying and they raved about their experience.  The big downside is that you do not get to keep the Dinosaur material you find but you need to talk with him to find out what that means.   Its a great experience for kids and adults especially if you never collected.

Thank you.  They are high on our list.  We are trying to reach a decision by Friday to take advantage of a current airfare bargain.  Today even, possibly.

Archived