Large black bone (?) found on beach

Yaya

I live in Kitty Hawk, NC, and have the glorious Atlantic Ocean down the street. On a recent beach walk, I found what appears to be a fossilized bone from a large marine creature. 

I have looked through photos online and have not been able to identify it... and I am hoping someone might have a moment to satisfy my curiosity.  It is approximately 9” wide and 6” tall... see photos below.  I would be happy to take other shots if needed.  Thanks very much!

B43954DC-0D3F-49E4-B930-7543CB66C5EB.jpeg

3EBF4302-634C-44AC-A4AA-FBABEC21676C.jpeg

E3CBAE8D-DF9B-443E-91C9-022D8D99B565.jpeg

Looks like it might be a VERY worn piece of broken cetacean vertebrae. I'm not sure its identifiable much beyond that due to its condition.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Welcome to the Forum ! :)
May be a whale cervical vertebra centrum.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

21 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Welcome to the Forum ! :)
May be a whale cervical vertebra centrum.

I agree.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you for the welcome and for the replies!  Would you mind another question from a total unintentional ignoramus... what makes the bone turn black?

1 hour ago, Yaya said:

Thank you for the welcome and for the replies!  Would you mind another question from a total unintentional ignoramus... what makes the bone turn black?

Welcome to TFF!

Minerals fill the voids in the bone (microscopic) or replace the minerals of the bone. The color is dictated by the minerals present.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 hours ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

Minerals fill the voids in the bone (microscopic) or replace the minerals of the bone. The color is dictated by the minerals present.

Is there any kind of chart that says what color is what mineral?

The black comes from bones and other things (clasts) sitting in a lag deposit. They become phosphatized. I did some googling and found that the process isn't explained very well. I should mention that I didn't look very hard. This strikes me as odd because many of the fossils we find are from phosphatic lag deposits (Big Brook, GMR, ad infinitum). Am aware of a good explanation in Earl Manning's Tulane thesis but not sure it's available on line.

10 minutes ago, Plax said:

The black comes from bones and other things (clasts) sitting in a lag deposit. They become phosphatized. I did some googling and found that the process isn't explained very well. I should mention that I didn't look very hard. This strikes me as odd because many of the fossils we find are from phosphatic lag deposits (Big Brook, GMR, ad infinitum). Am aware of a good explanation in Earl Manning's Tulane thesis but not sure it's available on line.

Thank you! I appreciate your efforts! Very kind! I looked too. couldn't find anything, but it seems like some either have better access or better research skills than me. Plus much more experience. 

1 hour ago, Plax said:

well, here's something though you have to read it through to get to the applicable part

http://ijolite.geology.uiuc.edu/08SprgClass/geo415-515/Sedimentary Phosphorites.pdf

That's awesome thank you! It will take me awhile because I have to look up definitions my vocabulary has improved immensely since I started studying fossils. Many of the words are not words that would used in any other field of study. I really appreciate the help!

Last summer our area (from Kitty Hawk to many miles south) performed a beach renourishment project where offshore (not sure how far or deep) sand was pumped onto the beach... certainly that stirred things up?  Also, it was once explained to me that depending on winds and current, we can experience influx from the colder Chesapeake Bay waters north of us, as well as warm & beautiful green Gulfstream waters from the south.  

AF2500FE-2FE3-4057-9DD0-305F8F5EB69F.jpeg

Beach renourishment is where most fossils come from there and at most east coast beaches. Clasts (sand gravel, shells, fossils) are sorted by weight in beach environments and untouched beaches will be mostly just sand. Heavier clasts are down slope. Gravity works the same way in water as it does in air; just slower. You'll notice after a few years that beaches revert to mostly sand. None of this applies to eroding cliffs of course.

I LOVE the OBX.  Spent a decade or so there. I wish I had the coin to retire there.

The winters were the best--few tourists.

BTW, if you take Route 264 (?) west through Whalebone Junction and Roanoke Island to the mainland. Look for recent excavations along the highway. Fossiliferous Pliocene and Pleistocene deposits are very close to the surface. I've found small teeth and some fine shells when the DOT was excavating a drainage canal there.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Archived