The Adventures of a Cliff Hunter!

Williamb55

On 3/30/2018 at 7:05 AM, MarcoSr said:

As a member of the Stratford Harbour Community, as a volunteer at Stratford Hall, as a State permit holder at Westmoreland State Park I'm in that area all the time.  Now that the different land owners are willing to have arrested these trespassers, which they hadn't been willing to do in the past, I have absolutely no problem reporting trespassers and their boat numbers to Maryland DNR, or Virginia Marine Police, or the Westmoreland County sheriff or Stratford Hall security or Stratford Harbour security or the rangers at Westmoreland State Park as appropriate.  I've been a subpoenaed witness for previous trespass cases and have absolutely no problem with being a future witness.

My advice to all trespassers is don't do it.  You may not get caught today.  You may not get caught tomorrow.  But eventually you will be caught, arrested, prosecuted and convicted.  Ask some of those arrested and convicted in 2017 if it was worth it.

:goodjob:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 1 month later...

Wow wow wow, fantastic teeth from the Virginia and Maryland sites. That creme meg and blue mako :wub: Would love to hunt together some time next time I'm in Maryland!

• 3 years later...
On 3/28/2018 at 8:59 PM, Williamb55 said:

First Fossil Voyage of the Year! - 3/24/2018

First day of Spring Break and I wanted to do something more exciting than going to Brownies or Purse SP and the winds looked cooperative so I decided to head to a spot along the Potomac River that is boat-accessible only. As usual, the weather was not what it was predicted to be and the winds were blowing when we pulled up to the boat ramp. Determined, we launched anyways although now I realized that it probably wasn't the wisest plan since there were whitecaps in the middle of the river and 1-3' surf. Somehow we made it to the beach and tucked our kayaks up behind a fallen tree so the high tide couldn't take it and began out hunt. When we arrived at the beach it was high tide so it could only get better from what was available. Teeth were tumbling out of the surf left and right and I was able to score a nice Auriculatus 30 minutes in (even though it's beat up and worm smooth, I consider it a rare-find for VA/MD). My buddy with me was unfortunate enough to have his parents remove his waders from his car the previous night and he only had some tennis shoes to wear so he was stuck on the exposed beach while I could wade through the waves to reach other locations, so far the morning had consisted of a bunch of Fossil FAILS, but I knew the potential of this location. I continued on my trek up the beach and began to find some very nice Hemipristis teeth when I got to the mother load of gravel. There was so much gravel I had to make 3 passes to cover the entire beach since my buddy wasn't going to get to me anytime soon. I was crawling under a tree when I discovered what would've been my largest Desorai Mako tooth, but the root was busted and I was climbing out from under the tree I caught glimpse of the largest Hemi I had seen in my life. I was tucked waaaay back in a small cave formed from running water down the cliffs and it was posed in-situ for the camera. The tooth measures exactly 1 1/2" and is the largest one I have ever found! My trip was pretty much made when I found this tooth, but the gods had to please me once more and only 10 minutes later and I found a wicked sharp Desorai, tip and both roots!

IMG_2628.thumb.JPG.7775633768d0a52db8fe322317d97f24.JPGIMG_2625.thumb.JPG.db58f891a6a3f895e48e8b28941b0c7c.JPGIMG_2626.thumb.JPG.58a0e2c25ab8ba782877417e45b90276.JPGIMG_2605.thumb.JPG.a8c7e8dc71699a47831d0c9fbd2c0dff.JPGIMG_2601.thumb.JPG.7b6cbdb6a562ad16c5e97875979e8206.JPG

But WAIT!!!!!!!! My day wasn't over yet. I've been trying to keep this secret before the media finds out, but I discovered what I think is one of the most important finds of the century. I believe to have found an intact dinosaur pipe from millions of years ago. :hearty-laugh:Okay okay, I apologize for the tease. But this is definitely one of my favorite finds of my lifetime. I cant get over the googly-eye and how it looks up at you. My mother also got a good laugh when I showed her the pipe I had found. I has a load of river sediment and other dirt lodged in it but I cleaned it up as best as I can. I looks like it has definitely been in the river for a few decades. IMG_2627.thumb.JPG.746aff5b80785f4e6803ad2d7478a520.JPG

@Williamb55 what is this fossil from the top picture of this section of your post?

2F82CD1D-3FF7-4D21-A363-1BF24FDDDED2.jpeg