Seahorse fossil??

ijustpicit

Hi,welcome.

It isn't a seahorse.

Below:fossil hippocampid(seahorse)

(age:Sarmatian(more or less Serravallian(Miocene) s.s. in the Central Paratethys area ,Tunjice Coprolitic Horizon,Slovenia)

2teeetrey22m353plwillist.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Another one from Italy.

Sorry, yours is not a fossil.

• I found this Informative 4

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Welcome to TFF!

Your rock is a chert nodule that has lost most of the outermost layer. The remnant of that layer is what has the shape of a seahorse, but it is not.

Neet looking rock though.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you for your help. This is a great forum. I am posting what should be a better pic. Could you possibly take another gander at this and tell me If you still feel the same about it. I must agree, definitly not a seahorse, but possibly a dragon goby? Idk.....wishful thanking maybe....thanks again for this awesome forum

IMAG3916_1522322172459.png

Welcome to :tff:

I'm afraid that I must agree with the previous comments, your last picture making our ID even more certain. This is not a seahorse or goby fossil, or any fossil for that matter, but simply a mineral inclusion in chert, so purely geologic in origin. Though I definitely see where your guess is coming from, Mother Nature is really a trickster, and it happens regularly that She makes something look a lot like something it is not. That's why there are many pseudofossils --> things that look like fossils while they are not. 

Nonetheless, your find is pretty cool, even though it isn't a fossil!

I am sure though that there are some cool fossil-hunting possibilities in your area. Maybe try joining a local fossil club, they will surely be able to put you on some good stuff. 

Happy hunting!

Max 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils