what a surprise,,Serratolamna serrata tooth nj

brad hinkelman

wow so happy that non-remanié and josephstrizhak seen my post under the id section as I posted a pic of a tooth of question and in the back ground of the picture they spotted the serratolamna serrata tooth.......thanks guys!  and the funny thing about it my wife and I were sifting and checking the gravel bars for a few hours on a day I played hooky from work and at one point she had enough after we walked a considerable distance and said lets turn back now.....I said ok but I'm gonna just check out the next few corner gravel bars real quick just wait here....so off I went a little futher and I have to check the bars bent over and with reading glasses to really see well.....well after a little bit a said to my selve I better turn around and get my wife,so returning I just looked as I walked over the same gravel bars without my glasses and looked down and there it was just sitting in plain view....well anyway thanks again guys ,just thought id share the story of this rare find..

100_6095.JPG

100_6096.JPG

awein2.jpg

awin.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

How does one differentiate this from Cretolamna maraccana or is it biauriculata (sorry for the misspellings).

7 minutes ago, Plax said:

How does one differentiate this from Cretolamna maraccana or is it biauriculata (sorry for the misspellings).

this is what josephstriizhak said about that.....................................................Wow! It is 100% a Serratolamna serrata. Only a few have been found. A good way to distinguish them is by the unequal number and/or size of the cusplets when comparing the mesial and distal sides and by a small nutrient groove. The nutrient groove on your tooth looks like the right size for a Serratolamna; I initially thought it was larger based off of the original pic. The cusplets may also look a bit like Cretolamna cusplets (especially the primary cusplets on your tooth) since Serratolamna is related to Cretolamna.

Edited 23 minutes ago by josephstrizhak

just wanted to know how Brad. Not arguing it is Cretolamna. Pics I see online look very confusing.

3 minutes ago, Plax said:

just wanted to know how Brad. Not arguing it is Cretolamna. Pics I see online look very confusing.

oh yes I know...it seems that the unequal number and/or size of the cusplets is the main way on telling such..so neat finding new stuff.....

2 hours ago, Plax said:

These teeth have more asymmetrical cusplets than Cretolamna maroccana; Serratolamna teeth are also narrower, more elongate, and less erect. C. maroccana has never been found before in NJ.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Beautiful tooth. I have several of these from various Cretaceous sites here in North Carolina. I would not call them rare here.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

cf. Cretalamna biauriculata maroccana can also be found in NJ.    Also incredibly rare, probably a bit more so than S. serrata.   

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

2 hours ago, non-remanié said:

cf. Cretalamna biauriculata maroccana can also be found in NJ.    Also incredibly rare, probably a bit more so than S. serrata.   

@non-remanié Cool. I couldn't find any publications that mention it being present in New Jersey. Do you possibly have any pictures of them from NJ? I would be interested in seeing some.

Thanks,

Joseph

Edited by josephstrizhak

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal