Fossil ID

Trilobiting

Yesterday, I visited the famous Moenkopi Dinosaur Tracks site. The lady to guided me pointed out shiny rocks, which she said were jasper fossil corals. She let me collect them while I was being guided. I'm sure the pieces are jasper, but I'm not sure of they're pieces of coral. Are they?

In addition, there were some other things she pointed out, such as dinosaur eggs, skulls, coprolites, and vertebrae. I already knew these were suggestively shaped pieces of sandstone. I'm sure this misinformation wasn't on purpose, though.

20180329_115046.jpg

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

I had the same sort of experience at a similar site.  Not sure if it was the famous Moenkopi site, but it was in NE AZ.  

some pieces look like weathered coral but hard to tell w/o closeups

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Here’s a close-up of a piece

087423B7-547F-48F8-A5E8-D3A7FDC2150A.jpeg

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

12 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Wouldn't petrified wood be more likely ?

Some pieces do look like petrified wood.. But I'm not sure.

Another close-up.

20180329_131936.jpg

They would be terrestrial, common enough to be spared, and it's something that is often only identifiable with instruments initially, but subsequently quite distinguishable by eye.

All the specimens above look polished, like they were tumbled. Silica rich material for sure, but it's hard to see anything else.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

50 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

All the specimens above look polished, like they were tumbled. Silica rich material for sure, but it's hard to see anything else.

Yes, the site where I found these experience wind all the time, which is probably why they have a polished appearence.

Edited by Trilobiting
Typo

In the second to last picture I thought the black material might be microlites(sp?)

Edited by Malone
Numbered wrong

the closeups do not look like coral.Looks like regular jasper

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I thought jasper was not found in nature with that sheen, also the color variation doesn't seem consistent with jasper. Jasper is supposed to mean spotted stone. I was unable to find anything that shows the different stages jasper. Being as jasper is considered a stage of a combination of minerals by differing identifiable isotropic variation. It supposed to be able to brought to a highly polished state, but I was unaware that the natural conditions would have to absolutely perfect for it to be brought to that state without physical alteration by man barring perfect conditions. Anyway I would appreciate any enlightening.

Also in researching jasper I found it is also a slang term for a simple or naive guy. I would admit to being a jasper.

I would say there could be crocodyliform scutes- Triassic? 

After further research I found there is a form of jasper called jasperilite which is not spotted but banded. And with a hardness of at the peak of the upper range of dust hardness. So please ignore my previous questions. I hope this is read prior to any wasted efforts in response.