Missouri elk?

Awolartist

hello! I recently acquired this fossil jaw bone, it was stated that it was an elk fossil found in the Missouri River... I was wondering if anyone could give me an exact species? Also, the person unfortunately went sloppy wild with some 50/50 glue and it's smeared on the jaw bone and even covering some of the chewing surfaces of the teeth. Any hints on the best way to remove some of it?

20180329_215753.jpg

20180329_215759.jpg

20180329_215823.jpg

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

Im heading more toward the Bison/Bovid side of this ID.

Me too. Compare with this image of a bison jaw found online:

1Large.JPG.50a03c6ad34a243c426d5d9e2e4cd08b.JPG

@Harry Pristis is THE expert on bones in general, so he will surely be able to point you in the right direction. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

It is bovid, as caldigger suggested.  Bison is not an unreasonable guess.  It is from a youngish individual, judging from the mix of deciduous and  newly-erupted permanent teeth. 

If you are lucky, the glue will be acetone soluble.  If  "50/50 glue" is dilute white glue, you've got a problem which solvents won't help.  Cured white glue can be softened by heat (e.g. a hair-dryer), then rubbed with a fingertip into rubbery crumbs.  Use dental tools to pick and scrape away whatever glue you can.  Good results cannot be guaranteed, of course.  Do a search of TFF for discussions of white glue removal.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thank you so much! I'll try that. Bison molars I have are so much bigger than this guy, so it makes sense if it's juvenile. Was there such a thing as a prehistoric elk in the area?

1 hour ago, Awolartist said:

Thank you so much! I'll try that. Bison molars I have are so much bigger than this guy, so it makes sense if it's juvenile. Was there such a thing as a prehistoric elk in the area?

Elk in the Missouri River drainage?  Very likely.  Your jaw may be Bison occicentalis, the extant bison.  There are other, earlier species which were larger.

bison_teeth_table.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Some of the teeth have isolated stylids, but they are too long for elk.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I begun trying to wipe off some of the errant glue with warm water and realized the entire jaw - bone, teeth, everything is *completely* coated in glue. It seems to be coming off with water and a lot of work... but you can see how bad it is below.  Ugh. Wish me luck.  :/

20180331_235739.jpg

Wow, you weren't kidding about the glue! Should look great when you're done though. 

Archived