Preparation Practice - Asaphus lepidurus

Kane

Not long ago I received an unprepared asaphid trilobite, Asaphus lepidurus, with the intention of honing my still very green, nascent preparation skills. 

From my initial impression, I doubted that the left cephalon was complete, but was instead busted. Turned out it was all there! 

The reason it was being offered for sale at a significantly reduced price was because of some issues that would not make it a museum quality specimen, such as shell discolouration and some minor chipping. This was how it looked in its initial state:

IMG_4645.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The first few hours was mostly some light scribing, followed by slow and steady pin vise work. The matrix itself is quite thin, so I couldn't risk sending too much vibration through this. 

After most of the bulk matrix was removed, finer removal between the pleura and very sticky "schmutz" on both the cephalon and glabella took place. There were some minor mistakes on my part, but easily fixed. Some light blasting with the Paasche (after having to unclog the hose) was only slightly effective. Paasche AECR, dolomite powder 20-40 PSI. I may have to invest in a COMCO. :(

Four hours in time-lapse:

Webp.net-gifmaker (3).gif

before and after compared side by side: 

IMG_4645.JPGIMG_4653.JPG

• I found this Informative 9
  • Enjoyed 1

The pleura on the right are far too thin and exposed for me to risk uncovering them more. Even stabilizing the shell might not be the answer, so I'm leaving well enough alone. 

Here are two other views to show the absence of matrix in the tucked in segments. 

It isn't perfect, but it is better than my first attempt at this kind of trilobite. For me, it has earned its place in the cabinet. :) 

IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4655.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

That looks pretty darn good to me! Very nice job:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks phenomenal, Kane! :wub: 

Great job!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A beautiful piece of work, Kane. :):trilo:

Not museum quality?

Not far off now. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Stunning job!

Bravo!

Wish I had the skills an the tools to prep something like that.

Thanks for sharing :wub:

From start to finish is quite the difference!  Looks like im not the only one who has stuff sittin on the side line for years too.  Nice job kane.

RB

Thanks everyone. :blush: The more I do this, the more I learn.

Left out of my description of the process was the occasional cussing, or the sudden panic when you think you've goofed. :D All part of prep, I'm thinking. 

• I found this Informative 1

Great work, thanks for the post. Love seeing someone that has talent do this kind of work.

Very impressive!  A very worthy addition to the cabinet now that you've revealed it in all it's glory.

Don

Just now, Raggedy Man said:

What type of micro abrasion unit do you use Kane?

I use a Paasche AECR. If I go above 50 PSI, it inflates the aluminum container with a loud "pop." :P 

It turned out very nice, certainly was not expecting it to turn out this well based on the first picture ;)

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Left out of my description of the process was the occasional cussing, or the sudden panic when you think you've goofed. :D All part of prep, I'm thinking. 

That's a beautiful bug Kane! Well done. You're picking up the prep skills really fast sir. And, yes the cussing and panic are all part of it (we just usually smooth over that part in front of the children).

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That's a beautiful bug Kane! Well done. You're picking up the prep skills really fast sir. And, yes the cussing and panic are all part of it (we just usually smooth over that part in front of the children).

Thanks, Kris! :) 

One small adaptation I used this round was in getting a small enough collar for a mini-Dremel to attach a sewing needle. My next tiny tool to add would be to grind a sewing needle into more of a chisel tip to avoid the accidental punctures (I made a few on this one, but was able to cover them up). 

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks, Kris! :) 

One small adaptation I used this round was in getting a small enough collar for a mini-Dremel to attach a sewing needle. My next tiny tool to add would be to grind a sewing needle into more of a chisel tip to avoid the accidental punctures (I made a few on this one, but was able to cover them up). 

I also grind my needles to a chisel point rather than a rounded point for this reason. It makes a big difference.

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I also grind my needles to a chisel point rather than a rounded point for this reason. It makes a big difference.

Nice work, nice bug.  

I have about a half dozen or more needles sharpened to different shapes, points, chisels, extra skinny, of both sewing pins and carbide rod.  They all have their place in microscope work.  

Cute bug... maybe we get to see it in person on Friday........ or knowing our luck lately maybe not.....

2 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Cute bug... maybe we get to see it in person on Friday........ or knowing our luck lately maybe not.....

It's quite frustrating... They're calling for snow, rain, and 4 C on Friday. May be just as well as I'll be celebrating my birthday on the Thursday and unlikely to be getting up early the next morning. :D For now it looks like we are stuck in the weather loop between winter and spring.