On the Potomac River - Two odd pieces of bone

drobare

Hello. I recently took a trip on the Potomac River south of Washington to a Paleocene site. Nothing too exciting for the most part. Lots of small shark's teeth, two smaller broken Otodus teeth.

I did, however, find two oddities. Both appear to be bone, one has "ripples" in the surface reminding me of turtle shell. the other has dimples that somewhat resemble a crocodile scute, but not exactly..

Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks!!

drobare

Photo Mar 30, 12 19 24 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 30, 12 19 37 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 30, 12 19 55 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 30, 12 20 55 PM.jpg

The left one is likely a Trionyx turtle scute. The one on the right is a croc scute.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I agree with Lori and Joseph. But I would definitely avoid the word scute for these, especially the turtle. Osteoderm is best for the croc, but that is arguable for the turtle. Maybe just go with 'turtle shell fragment.' Scute should be reserved for the keratinous coverings of osteoderms, which are rarely, if ever, preserved as fossils.

• I found this Informative 6

I am no expert but to me, the one on the right looks like gator and the one on the left is a Turtle fragment. But like I said I cant confirm it.

Regards.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

56 minutes ago, Carl said:

I agree with Lori and Joseph. But I would definitely avoid the word scute for these, especially the turtle. Osteoderm is best for the croc, but that is arguable for the turtle. Maybe just go with 'turtle shell fragment.' Scute should be reserved for the keratinous coverings of osteoderms, which are rarely, if ever, preserved as fossils.

We do use the term scute in reference to tortoises and turtles. 

Image result for tortoise scutes

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

18 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

We do use the term scute in reference to tortoises and turtles. 

Image result for tortoise scutes

Exactly! These are maps to the keratinous scutes that lie on top of the bony elements of the shell. The bony elements have an entirely different configuration.

• I found this Informative 2

And Trionyx sp. has a fleshy covering of its shell -- it doesn't have keratinous scutes covering the bone elements of its carapace and plastron.

turtle_softshell_shell.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The term "scute" is used in armadillos, crocodilians and turtles in general conversation among the paleontologically inclined. I've heard it used for many years. Guess it isn't scientifically accurate but we'll have trouble getting it out of usage if that's the case. When one says "scute"; everyone knows what they're talking about.

• I found this Informative 1

It seems to me that the paleontologically-inclined would be inclined toward the best paleontological vocabulary.  But, you're right that the error is widespread.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Somebody say foot pads???  LOL

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".