Darktooth

I am currently getting over the flu so I decided to put off my trip to New Jersey till I am more ready for a long roadtrip. With that being said, I needed to get my fossil fix and decided to hit up my favorite local site. I left the house at 5:30 am, during which it was lightly raining. I got to Deep Springs by 6:40 and was surprised by how much snow was still lying around even though it hasn't snowed for around 2 weeks. Luckily the snow was melted on a good portion of the site, particularly the ledge that I wanted to work. I managed to find a nice piece of fossil wood around 14 inches long. While I did not find any complete trilos, I did find a dis-articulated Dipleura thorax and pygidium around 4 inches wide, a Small Dipleura thoraxand pygidium, and a Small but decent Dipleura cephalon that popped off the matrix. There was many other things that I found which I left behind. I plan on going back tomorrow with the boys to get what is left and hopefully get some new material.

20180330_140858.jpg

20180330_140937.jpg

20180330_141056.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

@Darktooth hang in there. Hope you get feeling better soon. Those Dipleura look really nice. I always find them interesting. They were the Hulks of the trilobite age.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Dave, 

Glad you were able to get your fix. 

Gotta rest, though, and recover so you can pull out slabs of Dipleura from there. ;) 

Thanks for the report - neat finds. 

That wood is particularly cool. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congratulations on getting your fix, Dave and good luck recovering from the flu. I've been thinking more and more about a trip to DSR. Glad to hear that it's becoming more accessible. Both that twig and the Dipleura (thorax/pygidium)  are impressive finds. Hopefully I'll get out there in the next month.

Nice finds! The fossil wood looks to be in pretty good shape (so many of them are all busted up, or just carbonized streaks). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks for all the kind words! Being sick has been pretty rough this past week. I am not fully recovered yet but it was nice to get out and do something even though the weather wasn't great. Its supposed to be sunny tomorrow and in the 50's which doesn't sound like much but considering how the weather has been this winter, it will feel like beach weather, Lol.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations on getting your fix, Dave and good luck recovering from the flu. I've been thinking more and more about a trip to DSR. Glad to hear that it's becoming more accessible. Both that twig and the Dipleura (thorax/pygidium)  are impressive finds. Hopefully I'll get out there in the next month.

Hi Jeff! DSR, at this time is very accessible even though there is snow covering half the site. The rest is highly weathered, which is why I wanted to hunt it today. Even though I put in a lot of energy I moved a lot of rock today. But the weathing did make it easier. Right now there are many slabs just waiting for you and Tim to come split!:D (or any other members who care to venture out). 

• I found this Informative 1

Great finds, Dave!  I look forward to seeing what you and your sons find there today... :popcorn: