A couple of Jurassic finds

Ludwigia

I took a walk over the fields yesterday in the Wutach area. The farmers are preparing their acres again, so it was time for a stroll. The sun was shining, so I didn't get all that much muck on my boots, but nevertheless, I'm having to vacuum the driver's side of the car today. There wasn't all that much worth keeping this time around, but I did hang onto this one. A Myophorella clavellata bivalve with a length of 8cm. They're not at all common in our area at this particular Bajocian stratigraphic level, so I was glad to have found my third and best preserved one in about 10 years. It's missing a bit from the end, as indicated in the second photo, but that's not so important.

L329a.thumb.jpg.3291622ddb1c6598372883e25e123bed.jpg

L329a.2.jpg.05962e96cec581ea3d27552f04b62da6.jpg

The second one is a recent gift from a friend who says he has enough of them, but I just can't say no to a nautilus, although I already have about 50 of them. It's just the very inner whorls of what probably had originally been a pretty large Cenoceras sp. from the Sinemurian, but I think it's pretty cute at 5cm. diameter.

N49a.thumb.jpg.2a0e77b0e41d4fac910b8f7005628817.jpg

N49c.thumb.jpg.b9a7271ec7119bf14231c3df4ae116b4.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

A nice and plump bivalve. So was this a field find, or did you have to dig around a bit?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 hours ago, Kane said:

A nice and plump bivalve. So was this a field find, or did you have to dig around a bit?

It was just laying there ripe for the harvest.

10 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice, the Myophorella is a beaut. :)

Thanks, man with toupee :D

• I found this Informative 1

Nice acquisitions Roger. I find the bivalve shell especially sweet. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. 

4 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Nice acquisitions Roger. I find the bivalve shell especially sweet. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. 

Thanks Jeff. And happy Easter to you!

10 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Lovely finds and bivalve is particularly good. :wub:

:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 3:45 PM, Ludwigia said:

I took a walk over the fields yesterday in the Wutach area. The farmers are preparing their acres again, so it was time for a stroll. The sun was shining, so I didn't get all that much muck on my boots, but nevertheless, I'm having to vacuum the driver's side of the car today. There wasn't all that much worth keeping this time around, but I did hang onto this one. A Myophorella clavellata bivalve with a length of 8cm. They're not at all common in our area at this particular Bajocian stratigraphic level, so I was glad to have found my third and best preserved one in about 10 years. It's missing a bit from the end, as indicated in the second photo, but that's not so important.

L329a.thumb.jpg.3291622ddb1c6598372883e25e123bed.jpg

L329a.2.jpg.05962e96cec581ea3d27552f04b62da6.jpg

The second one is a recent gift from a friend who says he has enough of them, but I just can't say no to a nautilus, although I already have about 50 of them. It's just the very inner whorls of what probably had originally been a pretty large Cenoceras sp. from the Sinemurian, but I think it's pretty cute at 5cm. diameter.

N49a.thumb.jpg.2a0e77b0e41d4fac910b8f7005628817.jpg

N49c.thumb.jpg.b9a7271ec7119bf14231c3df4ae116b4.jpg

I can't get enough of them either! .even though. I love finding them, but I only have weathered ones. Not as nice as this one. 

1 hour ago, EchieMysticTx61 said:

I can't get enough of them either! .even though. I love finding them, but I only have weathered ones. Not as nice as this one. 

The preservation is pretty sturdy in the lower Jurassic over here, sometimes the whole block is so sturdy that you can't get them out of the matrix without busting them to bits.

I love the Jurassic preservation. I’m sure your throw always may be better than what we have here at times. Much of those in Texas are casts or of chalk or limestone that is quite weathered. Your specimens are lovely.

7 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I love the Jurassic preservation. I’m sure your throw always may be better than what we have here at times. Much of those in Texas are casts or of chalk or limestone that is quite weathered. Your specimens are lovely.

Early Jurassic fossils in Germany are generally preserved in clay or pyritized clay-limestone. Middle Jurassic generally in sandy, iron-rich limestone. And Late Jurassic in pretty well pure limestone with the odd clayey horizon. We have practically no Cretaceous here since the area was an island at the time which eroded rather than built up sediment, but in northern Germany the chalk preservation is practically the same as you have in Texas.

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Early Jurassic fossils in Germany are generally preserved in clay or pyritized clay-limestone. Middle Jurassic generally in sandy, iron-rich limestone. And Late Jurassic in pretty well pure limestone with the odd clayey horizon. We have practically no Cretaceous here since the area was an island at the time which eroded rather than built up sediment, but in northern Germany the chalk preservation is practically the same as you have in Texas.

Well, they look great!