Upper Pennsylvanian Possible Burrow

Bullsnake

11 hours ago, Malone said:

Just an interesting observation pertaining to burrows. Like the observation in rehydration. I wasn't aware that fossilized material could be rehydrated even if it can I definitely wasn't stating that coprolites where living entities. I texted specifically that I wasn't suggesting that monitor lizards created the burrows. Also I texted the "only known to the author" about spiraling burrows. 

I must not have been very clear with my comment. The worms I found were dried up modern aquatic worms that made their home in the nooks and crannies of the coprolite. The Merritt Island matrix I referred to is comprised mostly of shells. There are sometime dried up bits of modern creatures in it. I will try to post pictures so you can see what I am talking about. :D

1 hour ago, GeschWhat said:

I must not have been very clear with my comment. The worms I found were dried up modern aquatic worms that made their home in the nooks and crannies of the coprolite. The Merritt Island matrix I referred to is comprised mostly of shells. There are sometime dried up bits of modern creatures in it. I will try to post pictures so you can see what I am talking about. :D

Thank you very much! Happy Easter! 

I'm not certain this structure is a burrow at all but it's definitely not a burrow from a lungfish or lysorophian. I can tell you that with complete confidence.

1 hour ago, GeschWhat said:

LOL - I didn't think you were. I thought you were referring to the prickly worm-like thing that I find in matrix. If that comes back to life, I'm running! :D

Yeah I would probably be trying to catch up!

4 hours ago, jdp said:

I'm not certain this structure is a burrow at all but it's definitely not a burrow from a lungfish or lysorophian. I can tell you that with complete confidence.

Thank you for the input.

Do you have any suggestions for it?

Steve

25 minutes ago, jdp said:

Was this collected in situ or was it found as-is in float?

Could you elaborate? I am unfamiliar with the terminology.

8 minutes ago, Malone said:

Could you elaborate? I am unfamiliar with the terminology.

"In situ" = still in place in the formation where fossilized.

"Float" = weathered out of it's original place and redeposited.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Thank you!

Maybe will be helpful to know the location of the find, formation/member/group name, for a more precise ID. What means 'oread', the Virgilian Oread limestone of the Shawnee Group, or the Oread megacyclothem?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, ynot said:

58 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe will be helpful to know the location of the find, formation/member/group name, for a more precise ID. What means 'oread', the Virgilian Oread limestone of the Shawnee Group, or the Oread megacyclothem?

It was found in situ.

Oread fm of the Shawnee group, Snyderville shale member.

Steve

The thing you have labeled "burrow" could be the remains of a sponge or bryozoan,but are likely just gypsum crystals left over from groundwater percolation through the rock. The small rice grain like structures could be some sort of small burrow structures of a marine invertebrate but I couldn't tell you more than that. Lungfish and lysorophian burrows are always within paleosol horizons (greenish-reddish mudstones with particular sorts of structures) and have a pretty unmistakable shape (plus they'd likely have skeletal material inside). There probably are lungfish and lysorophian burrows elsewhere in the Snyderville (they're extremely common in the Council Grove and Chase Groups in your region so it'd be reasonable to think they'd be in the Snyderville too) but I haven't seen any so far. If you do want to find lungfish or tetrapod burrows in the Shawnee, check reddish-greenish mudstones, not the yellow limestones. If you see marine invertebrates (like the brachiopods you show here) then you're in the wrong layer.

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for your assessment @jdp! Certainly makes sense.

FWIW, I had considered the 'pellets' as fusulinids, but even the most weathered ones I've seen still show details so i ruled that out.

Steve

20 hours ago, Bullsnake said:

Oread fm of the Shawnee group, Snyderville shale member.

Unfortunately trace fossil were never described from the Snyderville shale member  / Oread fm, at least I can't find anything related to that, but doesn't mean they aren't there.
The arrangements of the pellets (fecal or not), seen in the open end, indicates ichnofossils.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library