Pennsylvanian, Finis Shale Fossils, Lost Creek Reservoir Borrow Pit, near Jacksboro, Texas

gwestbrook

Another grouping of fossils from the Pennsylvanian Finis Shale Site near Jacksboro, Texas. Always something to find there.

untitled-1.jpg

Oh yeah...that's a VERY typical assemblage of the Pennsylvania stuff that comes out of the Bridgeport/Jacksboro area.  Nice little collection!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Nice assortment of inverts! :wub:

I'm just wondering what that long specimen underneath the crinoid columnals is...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 2:41 AM, Wrangellian said:

Nice. I love those spiny corals. Horn corals are not usually spiny.

Me too! The spiny ones are my favorites for sure. 

On 3/31/2018 at 5:38 AM, Monica said:

Nice assortment of inverts! :wub:

I'm just wondering what that long specimen underneath the crinoid columnals is...

I believe it's a Crinoid anal spine. I can't say that 100% for sure. Can anyone else answer that question. :)

Wonderful preservation.

A great haul. 

I too adore the spiny corals. :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 3/31/2018 at 12:30 AM, Peat Burns said:

Beautiful specimens.

Thank you! I love collecting at that site. We just got back yesterday from that site. Filled up another quart bag. It's a very good site as long as there are some good rains periodically. The fossils weather out quite nicely there. 

On 3/30/2018 at 11:34 PM, Fruitbat said:

Oh yeah...that's a VERY typical assemblage of the Pennsylvania stuff that comes out of the Bridgeport/Jacksboro area.  Nice little collection!

-Joe

Yes! I love that site. And, very good preservation of the fossils to boot! Probably my favorite site outside some good Cretaceous echinoid sites. Spiny echinoids are my favorite fossils, followed by Nautiloids and Ammonites. 

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wonderful preservation.

A great haul. 

I too adore the spiny corals. :wub:

Thanks! 

17 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Very nice finds. I've always wanted to try my hand in that formation. Good finds @EchieMysticTx61

You most definitely would not be disappointed. Especially a few days after a good rain with lots of runoff. 

Nice group. And yes that is a crinoid spine. I have found that there are anal spines and spines such as yours that were attached to the upper part of the cup (calix) structure.

On 4/10/2018 at 12:48 PM, EchieMysticTx61 said:

Thank you! I love collecting at that site. We just got back yesterday from that site. Filled up another quart bag. It's a very good site as long as there are some good rains periodically. The fossils weather out quite nicely there. 

You've got it pretty good there. Much easier than the splintery shale I've got to work with up here.

That site would be near the top of my bucket list of sites to visit, someday.

Love that site. Even the gastropods are interesting there. How can that many different-looking snails all be the same species of Strobeus and what is that high-spired one right below the Straparolus?

12 hours ago, BobWill said:

Love that site. Even the gastropods are interesting there. How can that many different-looking snails all be the same species of Strobeus and what is that high-spired one right below the Straparolus?

Me too! I love the sheer variety of species there, and I'm quite sure I've only scratched the surface...so to speak. lol! I was hoping you could tell me which one the high-spired one was. ha, ha! The gastropods have definitely become my favorite there too. Followed be the ever-elusive Cephalopods. I've only ever found fragments, or badly weathered ones. 

13 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

You've got it pretty good there. Much easier than the splintery shale I've got to work with up here.

That site would be near the top of my bucket list of sites to visit, someday.

Yes, it sure is! With a heavy rain and good runoff, that site regenerates itself quite nicely. I would suggest trying to make it down. You wouldn't be disappointed.  Give me a heads up if you do and I'll meet you there. :)

On 4/11/2018 at 1:20 PM, thair said:

Nice group. And yes that is a crinoid spine. I have found that there are anal spines and spines such as yours that were attached to the upper part of the cup (calix) structure.

Thanks! I really love that site. 

Nice finds.  I've hunted there twice and enjoyed it both times.  I especially love finding the conulariids out there but I've heard they are getting rarer and rarer to find. 

On 3/31/2018 at 2:41 AM, Wrangellian said:

Nice. I love those spiny corals. Horn corals are not usually spiny.

I have seen specimens from the Jacksboro location that have a spire rising from the Calyx. So far I have not found one with that preserved. That is one of my bucket list items. Just love the way it looks. 

Thanks for the post and pictures.  Always happy to meet new fossil sites and citizens.

5 hours ago, EchieMysticTx61 said:

Yes, it sure is! With a heavy rain and good runoff, that site regenerates itself quite nicely. I would suggest trying to make it down. You wouldn't be disappointed.  Give me a heads up if you do and I'll meet you there. :)

So I've read.

I appreciate that, but the way things go with me I may never have the money. In the back of my mind I'd like to go see the eclipse in 2024 somewhere along its track which cuts thru Texas, but that's some time away yet and depends on where the weather is projected to be the best for viewing. If only road trips weren't so much more expensive than in the old days, I'd set aside a bunch of time and do the loop around the continent, hitting all the great collecting sites! Best I can do now is collect vicariously thru other TFF members (and thru trades).

Nice finds. I need to headback our that way sometime. There are just so many other places to hunt that it’s hard to go to the same place more than once.

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

So I've read.

I appreciate that, but the way things go with me I may never have the money. In the back of my mind I'd like to go see the eclipse in 2024 somewhere along its track which cuts thru Texas, but that's some time away yet and depends on where the weather is projected to be the best for viewing. If only road trips weren't so much more expensive than in the old days, I'd set aside a bunch of time and do the loop around the continent, hitting all the great collecting sites! Best I can do now is collect vicariously thru other TFF members (and thru trades).

Well, if you could send me your physical address again i’d be happy to put together a sampling of the fossils from the Jacksboro site and send them to you, nothing required in return. 

Archived