School Holidays Fossil Hunting pt 1

Hello Everyone

School holidays started a couple days ago in Victoria and I started them off with a bang! My dad and I went on a two day fossil hunting trip in Spring Gully and the Mornington Peninsula. The first day of the holidays (Good Friday) we got up around 7 and started the 2 and a half hour drive up to Spring Gully on the outskirts of Bendigo. This site was abundant in Ordovician graptolite fossils and apart of the Bendigonian formation. The location of site was given to us by a fellow member of the NSW Fossil Club. Unfortunately the map they gave us didn't match up and we ended up on a 3km hike through the bush. After some help from a friendly local we were able to match up the landmarks on the map and found the fossil site. There wasn't many rocks to split at the site so we ended up collecting lots of loose pieces along the ground. Overall we spent 2 hours at the site and left with many beautiful examples of graptolites. 

WP_20180330_004.jpg

Edited by DanKurek
Spelling Mistake

Those are some beautiful specimens - well done!!!

I'm still looking to find my first graptolite...one day... (hopefully soon! :fingerscrossed:)

Congratulations. Nice specimens there. Ones we usually find are just carbonized residue on dark gray shale. Yours really stand out.

Nice looking graptolites there!

minnbuckeye

Beautiful examples of graptolites. The one in the lower picture, upper right corner is 6 cm. That is a MONSTER!!!!!! Congratulation

Mike.

@minnbuckeye Hi

Thank you. Bendigo is a great place filled with many graptolite sites. I may be heading there again in a few days. I have many graptolites that I would like to trade if you like?

Thanks, 

Dan

@Monica Hello!

Thanks for the comment. If you would like I could send you a graptolite. Shipping will cost a bit but I do not mind.

Thanks,

Daniel

Tidgy's Dad

WOW ! ! !

Some beautiful graptolites, you had a good day! :)

Nice photos of the bush, too. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Here is one of my favourite graptolites, Phyllopgraptus angustifolius from Norway. 

It's also from the Lower Ordovician. 

You can see how many European graptolites are preserved as a carbon film on grey shale or slate, so grey on grey. Yours have a great contrast :

Phyllograptus.jpg.24e9a25ca066e9448a4954dda7efadfe.jpg

Fossildude19

Nice report and finds. 

Thanks for posting. :) 

Well done! I caught my breath at the images of your finds.

2 hours ago, DanKurek said:

@Monica Hello!

Thanks for the comment. If you would like I could send you a graptolite. Shipping will cost a bit but I do not mind.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel!

I'd love to add an Aussie graptolite to my collection - perhaps we can do a trade?  PM me and perhaps I have a fossil or two that you'd be interested in...

Thanks for the offer, and best of luck for part 2 of your fossiling expedition!

Monica

MeargleSchmeargl

Those graptos are looking fine! I need to go find some myself! Tips, anyone? :dinosmile:

WOW!  :envy:

Really nice! Like some others have already mentioned, the contrast between matrix and fossil is ideal. I'd be tempted to remove one of them and place it in my jigsaw :P