D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Dear Guys,

Few hours ago I was walking in the sandy building site and found the mammal canine that is 3,9 cm length. Very interesting is one thing- the upper part of canine is flattened in the cross section so I think it should be specific and rare carnivore. cani9d and felid canines are quite rounded in the cross section so I think it should belong to specific family. 

Please help to identify this specimen, if the rare taxon would be confirmed then it could be ice age and I would use it in my scientific book I create last two months. :)

Best Regards

Domas  

S7302878.JPG

S7302879.JPG

S7302885.JPG

S7302883.JPG

S7302884.JPG

Dear jpc, 

I think the grooves are natural because there are not any erosion or split marks on them, that is why I am so interested in identification. 

I would say it is not dog and not cat... :)

Best Regards

Domas

48 minutes ago, ynot said:

Just a guess, but it looks porcine to Me. (pig)

That’s what I was thinking, too.

Of course it can be similar to pig incisor, but please note that some apes also have quite similar canines that are flattened in cross section. 

Talking about ice age of Europe, there were quite common Cercopithecidae, e.g. Macaca and two other extinct species. 

For complete result, I would like you to compare the canine with macaca or other related monkey, then we will see the complete view. :)

Best Regards

Domas