Monica

Hi all!

I just got back from a little hunt with the kids along Etobicoke Creek here in Mississauga, Ontario (Georgian Bay Formation, Upper Ordovician), and I'm wondering if I perhaps found a trilobite pygidium?  Here are some pictures:

Front of rock (lots of little branching bryozoans and some crinoid bits):

DSCN2643.thumb.JPG.e399d45e24a5a3e977819f2e6e8582e6.JPG

Back of rock (where the possible trilobite pygidium is located - circled in red):

DSCN2645.thumb.JPG.953762b5a3b03ccbfd1cf00b14698397.JPG

Close-up of possible trilobite pygidium:

DSCN2649.thumb.JPG.eea29ecfbed119bfa8af75581dfb2cad.JPG

What do you think?  And, if it is indeed a trilobite pygidium, can it be identified any further?

Thanks in advance!

Monica

• I found this Informative 1

I would label it Flexicalymene senaria.

Image from Ludvigsen (1979) Fossils of Ontario - Part 1: The Trilobites.

fsenaria.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Certainly a trilobite pygidium. 

And nice bryozoans too. :)

Good day's hunting. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Kane said:

I would label it Flexicalymene senaria.

Image from Ludvigsen (1979) Fossils of Ontario - Part 1: The Trilobites.

fsenaria.jpeg

Thanks, Kane!  I was hoping that it was a trilo-bit, but I try not to get my hopes up so as to avoid disappointment. :)

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Certainly a trilobite pygidium. 

And nice bryozoans too. :)

Good day's hunting. 

Thanks for chiming in, Adam!  I'm happy with this find, too - I brought it home because of all the little bryozoans on it (I don't usually find so many on one rock so I thought it was worthy of the trip home for a little wash and a closer look) and the trilobite bum was a bonus. :)  I also brought home a piece of rock with two beat-up orthoconic nautiloids on it (they're not in the best condition, but one of them tapers quite nicely which is unusual for what I usually find, so I might end up keeping it...or I might bring it back to the creek - I'm still undecided), a couple of loose orthoconic nautiloids (one is a bit beat-up and the other is covered with a bryozoan, but I can't resist bringing cephalopods home - I feel drawn to them, which is why Viola calls me "The Cephalopod Queen" :P), as well as a rock with a bunch of gastropods on it cut in various ways, but one is cut in a beautiful longitudinal section, so it's a keeper. :dinothumb:

9 minutes ago, Monica said:

Thanks for chiming in, Adam!  I'm happy with this find, too - I brought it home because of all the little bryozoans on it (I don't usually find so many on one rock so I thought it was worthy of the trip home for a little wash and a closer look) and the trilobite bum was a bonus. :)  I also brought home a piece of rock with two beat-up orthoconic nautiloids on it (they're not in the best condition, but one of them tapers quite nicely which is unusual for what I usually find, so I might end up keeping it...or I might bring it back to the creek - I'm still undecided), a couple of loose orthoconic nautiloids (one is a bit beat-up and the other is covered with a bryozoan, but I can't resist bringing cephalopods home - I feel drawn to them, which is why Viola calls me "The Cephalopod Queen" :P), as well as a rock with a bunch of gastropods on it cut in various ways, but one is cut in a beautiful longitudinal section, so it's a keeper. :dinothumb:

Sounds like you had a great day out! :)

I love encrusting bryozoans. 

The gastropods sound interesting. 

So, if you're The Cephalopod Queen, that makes Viola, The Princess of what ?;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

34 minutes ago, Monica said:

Thanks, Kane!  I was hoping that it was a trilo-bit, but I try not to get my hopes up so as to avoid disappointment. :)

Doesn't hurt to keep your hopes up as the Georgian Bay Fm reports up to six trilobite genera according to Ludvigsen: ee.jpeg

Although it should be noted that Isotalo (2015) in Ordovician Trilobites of Southern Ontario, Canada and the Surrounding Region lists two species: Flexicalymene granulosa and Isotelus maximus. I would probably need to look at your specimen's features a bit more keenly to determine if it is F. senaria or F. granulosa. 

To be on the safe side, I would revise my previous ID label and call it Flexicalymene sp. pending a bit more finer-grained examination of the diagnostic details. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Nice little piggy :) I've circled something in your first pic that could also belong to a trilobite. Perhaps a cross section of the pleura?

DSCN2643.thumb.JPG.e399d45e24a5a3e977819f2e6e8582e6.1.jpg.211dbffc3acf952e18e8e460fbc338ba.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Sounds like you had a great day out! :)

I love encrusting bryozoans. 

The gastropods sound interesting. 

So, if you're The Cephalopod Queen, that makes Viola, The Princess of what ?;)

Viola loves all kinds of "shells" (i.e. brachiopods and bivalves), so I'd probably call her "The Princess of Shells."

(fyi: I just asked Viola what she thinks she's the princess of, and she said "The Princess of Candy"!  :rofl:  She definitely loves candy more than the rest of us in the house, so perhaps that would be the best title for her. :P)

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Doesn't hurt to keep your hopes up as the Georgian Bay Fm reports up to six trilobite genera according to Ludvigsen: ee.jpeg

Although it should be noted that Isotalo (2015) in Ordovician Trilobites of Southern Ontario, Canada and the Surrounding Region lists two species: Flexicalymene granulosa and Isotelus maximus. I would probably need to look at your specimen's features a bit more keenly to determine if it is F. senaria or F. granulosa. 

To be on the safe side, I would revise my previous ID label and call it Flexicalymene sp. pending a bit more finer-grained examination of the diagnostic details. :) 

I'm okay with just giving my little trilo-bum a genus - Flexicalymene sp. is good enough for me!  Thanks a bunch! :fistbump:

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice little piggy :) I've circled something in your first pic that could also belong to a trilobite. Perhaps a cross section of the pleura?

DSCN2643.thumb.JPG.e399d45e24a5a3e977819f2e6e8582e6.1.jpg.211dbffc3acf952e18e8e460fbc338ba.jpg

I think you're right, Roger!  And I think I see a similar item near the top of my first picture, too - good eye! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

3 minutes ago, Monica said:

Viola loves all kinds of "shells" (i.e. brachiopods and bivalves), so I'd probably call her "The Princess of Shells."

(fyi: I just asked Viola what she thinks she's the princess of, and she said "The Princess of Candy"!  :rofl:  She definitely loves candy more than the rest of us in the house, so perhaps that would be the best title for her. :P)

The Princess of Candy, eh? 

How Sweet! :P

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

The Princess of Candy, eh? 

How Sweet! :P

She's very sweet...when she isn't angry about something... (I like to describe her as "feisty" :P)

Just now, Monica said:

She's very sweet...when she isn't angry about something... (I like to describe her as "feisty" :P)

Just the adjective I use for Tidgy. 

My feisty Princess of Dandelions. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

On 4/1/2018 at 8:36 PM, subsonicdrone said:

nice finds!

i like the detail on the bryozoans

Thanks!  I, too, like how the individual pores can be seen on the broyzoans :)

On 4/1/2018 at 8:44 PM, ynot said:

Congratulations on finally finding a trilobite at that location, hope the next is whole!

Thanks, Tony!  This is indeed my first Flexicalymene sp. trilo-bit found at my local haunt, although I did find a couple of rusophycus there as well as a very beat-up Isotelus sp. along the same creek in the past.  I'm definitely hoping to find a nice, complete trilo here in my area one day... :fingerscrossed: