Encrustation

Rockwood

Found in glacial drift in north western Maine. The rock type is a good match for Tarratine sandstone. Lower Devonian marine delta deposits.

I've walked by this fossil so many times it's like an old friend. I had always assumed it to be a bivalve with weathered out pyrite crystals. It was exposed on a small gravel beach as I skied by this morning so I decided to give it a look.

I think I have been wrong. What do you think ?

IMG_4573 (2).JPG

IMG_4574 (2).JPG

10 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

steinkern

Wouldn't it be an internal mold of a single valve, and hadn't there been something that settled in and colonized it ?

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Wouldn't it be an internal mold of a single valve, and hadn't there been something that settled in and colonized it ?

I wanted to say that, but I didn't want to start the whole debate on internal / external mold / cast controversy.  Is "steinkern" as it might be used for bivalves restricted to only those that were created between both valves?

15 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I wanted to say that, but I didn't want to start the whole debate on internal / external mold / cast controversy.  Is "steinkern" as it might be used for bivalves restricted to only those that were created between both valves?

Ah !

The old 'can of worms' defense. :)

18 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Is "steinkern" as it might be used for bivalves restricted to only those that were created between both valves?

My understanding.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

My understanding.

One can't win no matter what term they use, I guess :)

I'm not familiar with that area, but I wonder if can't be a lingulid brachiopod valve.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I  sort of anticipated it to be called a phyllocarid.

I had considered, that, Dale, but the shape is off for me.  :unsure:

Looks more like a pelecypod to me. 

5abfdf3d8ce47_IMG_4573(2).thumb.JPG.d6901c6078e56d28e486d532e382a546.JPG

If there are arthopodish texture (pustules or divots) on the right side, I would say it could be a phyllocarid.

One of mine:  Rhinocaris columbia

gallery_2806_718_1493296.jpg

Lingula brachiopods are much more unilaterally oval, ... where as this has a taper, and faint growth lines on one end, that are not concentric. 

Here's one of mine: Lingula delia

gallery_2806_718_1284374.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What made me think that might be a lingulid is not just the entire shape of it, but the flagellated margin (chaetae) which I think I see in the pictures. I can't see encrustation, but dissolution.

pic4.jpg.a8e9874e975457a2f1756bad550839a5.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I can't see encrustation, but dissolution.

Like the under side of an overturned boat. There would tend to be a void that would fill with solubles.

So much for my rare preservation of a phyllocarid body.

I'll be traveling that shoreline until the road thaws and hardens. I prefer rocks over snow and mud. So maybe next time.

Thanks all.