Bones From Onion Creek

BobC

Bob,

Now you see why none of us could cut it with a bunch of stiff necked PhD types......

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest Smilodon
Now listen here Smiley baby--I just posted a quarter in the pic. For a Smiledon, known in the ancient world for their perky personalities, you're a little grumpy. The lower leg bone, if it were whole, would be about 8 inches long, tops.

My genus may be smiledon (sic) but my species names are gracilis, fatalis, and the one I truly love is populator -you might want to check that one out in your latin dictionary (hint- it means Destroyer.)

I did go off on a little rant there but I id stuff regularly at my job and I do know more about paleo vertebrate anatomy and dentition than anyone I've seen on The Forum so far.

But when (the royal) someone asks for help and posts a picture or two and gives no information about size and/or locality, what do you expect? You get a bunch of guesses.

Yes, I am new here and have yet to prove my cred on the forum, but has anyone here written a book mainly about vertebrate fossils that was proofed by a Smithsonian Research Associate, Professor of Anatomy at a medical school, and the world's leading authority on a type of fossil and living vertebrate. AND the curator of Natural History at a State Museum here in the East.

crickets.....

Honestly, I apologize for my previous mini rant. I promise to be more tolerant. K?

Don

Smiley

Welcome to the Forum. My genus is Dan (etymology: Layman who enjoys collecting fossils) and my species is Woehr (etymology: Humbly willing to learn from others). Those of us who have been burned before are a bit reticent about publicly pinpointing locality info for fear of lurking vultures ransacking our hard earned discoveries AGAIN. Perhaps locality info is best nailed down through PMs once confidence between individuals is established. Careful about boasting credentials too....humility and an open mind go a long way here. There are some very knowledgeable folks here whose savvy surfaces slowly over time and they have cultivated enormous respect from peers.

Grüße,

Guest Smilodon
Smiley

Welcome to the Forum. My genus is Dan (etymology: Layman who enjoys collecting fossils) and my species is Woehr (etymology: Humbly willing to learn from others). Those of us who have been burned before are a bit reticent about publicly pinpointing locality info for fear of lurking vultures ransacking our hard earned discoveries AGAIN. Perhaps locality info is best nailed down through PMs once confidence between individuals is established. Careful about boasting credentials too....humility and an open mind go a long way here. There are some very knowledgeable folks here whose savvy surfaces slowly over time and they have cultivated enormous respect from peers.

Dan,

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

But remember, it's not boasting if you can back it up. Honestly, I'm not really here to learn - been there, done that for three decades. At this stage in my life, I am in the sharing, teaching, and mentoring mode. I hope folks here on the Forum both learn about and enjoy what I have to offer.

Don

Bobc, did you give it the ole match/cigarette lighter test? If it gives off an odor its recent.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Smiley,

I look forward to your input, but this is a forum where you don't need to wave a flag to be noticed for expertise. Humble yet informative responses garner the most respect here from my personal experience. Again, welcome and please join us in spirited yet respectful discussion.

Grüße,

Okay I started a new job today so I only had time to skim the responses--did anybody agree on anything?

Smiley--breath deep--relax. I am an "advanced beginner" in fossil hunting and I am just trying to learn. The only reason I dug up these bones was because I discovered other such bones on Shoal Creek in May but didn't do anything about them--and obviously they were a big deal because now someone has removed half the creek bank and cut down the trees around the bones.

So I am just trying to learn, sweetpants.

Ok, look, please forgive me - I'm Tracer's cat, and I've hacked into his computer, and I've been reading his stuff, and I have to say that this is the funniest thing I've ever read in my life - far funnier than anything that he ever wrote, and really lots funnier than anything in the jokes section too.

Oh, and that skeleton. It was a muntjac. Don't know how it got there, but I killed it, because it was barking, and I ate it. It was delicious.

Guest Smilodon
Okay I started a new job today so I only had time to skim the responses--did anybody agree on anything?

Smiley--breath deep--relax. I am an "advanced beginner" in fossil hunting and I am just trying to learn. The only reason I dug up these bones was because I discovered other such bones on Shoal Creek in May but didn't do anything about them--and obviously they were a big deal because now someone has removed half the creek bank and cut down the trees around the bones.

So I am just trying to learn, sweetpants.

I'll have you know sir, one thing I've never been called is "sweetpants," but that's kinda funny. Is all forgiven?

I'll have you know sir, one thing I've never been called is "sweetpants," but that's kinda funny. Is all forgiven?

You ever been called Sugar Britches? :D

It doesn't matter whether there's agreement or not. These bones are deer, no question about it.

Yeah, barking deer! Delicious barking deer!

... Honestly, I'm not really here to learn - been there, done that for three decades. ...

That's too bad, because it is possible.

...At this stage in my life, I am in the sharing, teaching, and mentoring mode. I hope folks here on the Forum both learn about and enjoy what I have to offer.

Don

Keep working on this mode because you're losing your class, and welcome to the Forum.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'm back like a bad penny!!! Hi Smiley! I only called you Sweetpants to break the tension!! Trust me--I am pretty sure 99% of the people on this forum know more than I do about fossils, but One day I WILL CRUSH THEM ALL!!! I already have Sue the T-Rex as a LAWN ORNAMENT!!! DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!!!

Okay. I'm just a video game artist. I'm not Bob Bakker. Or Steven Hawking, or any other scientist. To be called a fraud would be elevating me to undreamed of heights. ♠

All is forgiven!!!! We all have out diva moments!!!

Guest Smilodon
That's too bad, because it is possible.

Keep working on this mode because you're losing your class, and welcome to the Forum.

1.Yes it is possible, but as I wrote, I do not come HERE for that.

2. Losing class??? look in the dictionary.

Guest Smilodon
I'm back like a bad penny!!! Hi Smiley! I only called you Sweetpants to break the tension!! Trust me--I am pretty sure 99% of the people on this forum know more than I do about fossils, but One day I WILL CRUSH THEM ALL!!! I already have Sue the T-Rex as a LAWN ORNAMENT!!! DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!!!

Okay. I'm just a video game artist. I'm not Bob Bakker. Or Steven Hawking, or any other scientist. To be called a fraud would be elevating me to undreamed of heights. ♠

All is forgiven!!!! We all have out diva moments!!!

Cool!

You people don't know the meaning of low-class!! After re-reading the posts on this thread, with all the genuses and other terms I sort-of-but-don't-really understand, I walk away with a vague feeling of being somehow insulted, but I can't be sure. Please dumb down all further posts!!!!!

So anyway--you all think these bones are a fairly recent deer?

yes, a fairly recent barking deer. i'm certain of it, because auriculatus and johnj are certain of it, except for the barking part, but they just haven't probably ever tasted muntjac. it's delicious. or so my cat says.

that kind of bone that's very white and chalky is usually relatively recent and has a lot of the mineral content leached out, as opposed to having been buried for googleons and becoming heavily mineralized. you will find quite a bit of chalky bone like that if you hang around waterways much. tj and i don't take it home unless it's something we just happen to want for some reason other than it being a fossil.