Cowboy Paleontologist

I found this piece of bone about a month ago and didn't really know what I was dealing with until I started prepping it out.  I know that it is theropod based on the hollow structure, this should be at least somewhat visible in the photo of the broken edge.  It came from the Redonda Formation in Eastern New Mexico where theropod remains have been found, but nothing identifiable to species.  If anyone here can identify the species that would be fantastic, but I really just want to know what bone it is.  My guess is the end of the pubis or ilium, but I was hoping for some other opinions.

Theropod 1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

@Troodon any thoughts? I think it’s a bit on the thick side with the walls but maybe that’s just me.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Cannot help you with an ID of that bone not familiar with triassic bones.   Recently posted a topic that focused on theropod teeth and in that process ran across a recent paper that provided a review of the different formations in NM including a faunal list.  Attached find the one for the Redonda formation.  No dinosaur material has been reported and material onces thought to be was associated with tetrapods. Have not seen other recent publications that differ.   All I know and can comment on.  

Heckerts et al (2015) paper which is in the attached topic 

Screenshot_20180322-073442.thumb.jpg.a2624845dcaebea559733d6b66bc1d40.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

I spoke with professor that is an expert on the area and showed him this specimen.  He told me that there is in fact therapod material in the Redonda formation, it just has not been published.  After some examination, it was decided that this was a fragment of a long bone (likely fibula) from a small animal.  He could not say more as to the specifics without doing a more in depth comparison of known specimens.

• I found this Informative 5

• 2 months later...

Update:

During the late Triassic, therapods were not the only animals with hollow bones.  Dinosauromorphs and some crocodylomorphs had hollow bones as well.  This bone came from an area where Shuvosaurus material has been identified, but there are other options.

• I found this Informative 3