Gomphothere Scapula from the Ash Hollow

Bozark

Side view. The bone is very thin, I should be able to get better pictures as I continue prepping it out

IMG_20180405_210515019.jpg

More progress tonight. This side is definitely more worn and eroded unfortunately. Coming along a good deal slower, lots of consolidation and gluing. Much of the cancellous bone exposed on the edges has been eroded away (in a stream bed environment, I believe) and replaced with matrixIMG_20180407_191813719.thumb.jpg.c683ee4af6340a92cebbbdfdb6fdc5fa.jpg 

Detail of the work underneath the process sticking up near the articulating end. If it were complete it would be taller with a forked end

IMG_20180407_191826927.jpg

Nice work on the jacket - just a suggestion though for when you flip it to take them out.

When you prep the one side you can see in the jacket, if you can do another jacket on the side you've now prepped. Be careful so you don't do it as such that the bone is trapped in the new jacket or the new jacket trapped in the old. When that sets you can flip it and the bone will still be nicely supported from the new jacket with minimal risk of damage from removing it. Finish prepping the other side and consolidating and then take it out of the new jacket. It's how I did a diprotodon jaw and is handy.

Cheers,

Troy.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

19 hours ago, Ash said:

Nice work on the jacket - just a suggestion though for when you flip it to take them out.

When you prep the one side you can see in the jacket, if you can do another jacket on the side you've now prepped. Be careful so you don't do it as such that the bone is trapped in the new jacket or the new jacket trapped in the old. When that sets you can flip it and the bone will still be nicely supported from the new jacket with minimal risk of damage from removing it. Finish prepping the other side and consolidating and then take it out of the new jacket. It's how I did a diprotodon jaw and is handy.

Cheers,

Troy.

Thanks for the reminder! I knew I was forgetting something pretty basic when I flipped it... I've been kinda married to the idea of soft dirt under a bone when I flip since it absorbs shock pretty well but I'll be sure to do that next time, especially for the articulated bones that should be in the hill ;)

Archived