What's the age of Asery Level

Shuo Wang

What's the specific age of Asery Level (Vilpovitsy quarry, St.Petersburg region, Russia)? According to the website, "Geoscience Collections of Estonia", the age of Aseri Stage is 463.8-463.0 Ma. The age of "Asery Level" the same as "Aseri Stage"?

Ivantsov (2004) calls it the Aseri Horizon, comprised of the Duboviki and upper section of the Simankovo Formations. It generally corresponds to the Darriwillian Stage in the ICS. 

See:

Ivantsov, A. Y. (2004) Ordovician Trilobites of the Subfamily Asaphinae of the Ladoga Glint. Paleontological Journal v. 37, supp. 3, pp. S229-S337.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

Ivantsov (2004) calls it the Aseri Horizon, comprised of the Duboviki and upper section of the Simankovo Formations. It generally corresponds to the Darriwillian Stage in the ICS. 

See:

Ivantsov, A. Y. (2004) Ordovician Trilobites of the Subfamily Asaphinae of the Ladoga Glint. Paleontological Journal v. 37, supp. 3, pp. S229-S337.

Thanks for your answer about "Aseri". What about Asery Level?

I think Aseri and Asery refer to the same thing, and is just a feature of roughly translating from Cyrillic characters for pronunciation (just as you may see Volchov or Wolchov River). 

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

I think Aseri and Asery refer to the same thing, and is just a feature of roughly translating from Cyrillic characters for pronunciation (just as you may see Volchov or Wolchov River). 

Oh, I see.

Aseri :Eoplectognathodus foliaceus and E.pseudoplenus conodont zones).

Or do you mean radiometric ages? 

There are so many trilobite fossils from St.Petersburg region of Russia. Most sellers indicate "Asery Level" , but no one mention the precise age of Asery Level. I only know fossils can be traced to a wide range of Middle Ordovician (443.8 - 485.4 Ma). I try to understand the exact age. That's why I have the question.

Perhaps these might be helpful. For the larger stratigraphic chart, look under the column "Baltoscandia" (the "As" refers to Aseri). Both images drawn from The Great Ordovician Biodiversifcation Event. (2004) Eds. Webby and Droser. Columbia UP. 

b.jpeg

aa.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Also, it is good to know that the Aseri Horizon, broken up into Formations, are further segmented into "zones" where specific trilobite species are found. According to Ivantsov (2004), in ascending order, the zones of the Aseri are: Asaphus heckeri, A. kotlukovi, A. punctatus, A. intermedius, A. kowalewskii.

Another image from Ivantsov to show distribution: 

cc.jpeg

And just one other point...

Some sellers may be relying on older stratigraphic information when posting their descriptions. The ranges of the Aseri and Kunda were changed by Ivantsov, shortening the Kunda. In the Volkhov region where many of the St Petersburg trilobites are found, there are two main beds: the kotlukovi-punctatus and the intermedius-kowalewskii. This is not to say other asaphids are not found in these beds, but the predominant ones are those for which the zones are named after. 

24 minutes ago, Kane said:

And just one other point...

Sellers may be relying on older stratigraphic information when posting their descriptions. The ranges of the Aseri and Kunda were changed by Ivantsov, shortening the Kunda. In the Volkhov region where many of the St Petersburg trilobites are found, there are two main beds: the kotlukovi-punctatus and the intermedius-kowalewskii. This is not to say other asaphids are not found in these beds, but the predominant ones are those for which the zones are named after. 

So, if my trilobite, Paraceraurus macrophthalmus, is from Asaphus punctatus zone of "Asery Level", that means it can be traced to about 463 million years ago, equalling the age of "Aseri Horizon". Maybe we can say Asery Level is equal to Aseri Horizon.

I would be fairly certain that it is situated in the Aseri Horizon. It is listed as being in the Upper Llanvirnian, ~460 million years at the youngest, and ~464 at the oldest.

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

I would be fairly certain that it is situated in the Aseri Horizon. It is listed as being in the Upper Llanvirnian, ~460 million years at the youngest, and ~464 at the oldest.

Aseri: 463.8 - 463.0 million years

PSX_20180402_020624.jpg

I was pretty close! 

To be in proper alignment with the ICS, Aseri Stage is preferable to "horizon" or "level."

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

I was pretty close! 

To be in proper alignment with the ICS, Aseri Stage is preferable to "horizon" or "level."

Anyway, thanks for your answer. It's really useful. By the way, where are your images from? I would like to find the file of this article.

39 minutes ago, Shuo Wang said:

Anyway, thanks for your answer. It's really useful. By the way, where are your images from? I would like to find the file of this article.

I listed them with the images above. :)