judgesteve

Visited Port Mulgrave on the 10th March and found some lovely Ammonites then walked the shoreline to Staithes.  Those of you who know the coast will be aware that whilst there are fossils at the Staithes end, it is Port Mulgrave and a few spots in between that are the most productive.  Imagine my surprise, with the Cod and Lobster pub in sight at the end of my trip, when I looked down at the smaller of the two pieces just sitting there.  After an hour searching the area I found the larger part which is a perfect fit.  The pieces are very weathered and I think may have been exposed high up in the upper lias for quite some time.  I have been back twice but nothing else has come down yet.  The rest may well be up there. There is no pyrite present but it is too advanced a prep job for me so I have taken it to Mike Marshal of Sandsend.  I know you can't make a silk purse from a pigs ear but he will no doubt work wonders.  It is my best every find and I don't know if I will ever experience the same excitement fossil lint.  Amazing.

IMG_2061.thumb.JPG.f0367c5bc33a0cc30e2cf59f2141e3ce.JPG  

IMG_8091.JPG.a8cea86c9cbcb493cf3a256b31ffa1f0.JPG

IMG_9602 2.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_6290.JPG

IMG_6375.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Fantastic finds . I think they will look great prepared. I love it there. 

Thank you for sharing.

cheers bobby 

Wow great find :wub::wub:

Congrats !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Great result! 

I'm not surprised you were ecstatic! :yay-smiley-1:

Well done, especially in finding the second piece after a diligent bit of searching. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Epic find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The jaw is my dream find. When i visit in july for a week if i can even find a partial bit i’ll be over the moon.

stunning!

• I found this Informative 1

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Speaking of the cob and lobster i spent a week in the little white cottage just next to it!

Weirdly i found runswick bay to be alot better for finds than staiths at the time.

31C8D502-9A35-4A18-95B9-FDA7A7501760.jpeg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I would have agreed 100% until I found these two pieces.  There is more being exposed all the time so its worth a look just before the headland before the pub goes out of view as you turn the corner.  Its about 100 meters before the bend and there are two large recesses with the upper lias coming down.  Theres a nice ammonite spot a short walk around that corner too and numerous beautiful shell fossils in situ so its worth a look. 

• 1 month later...

What an amazing find!!
I wish I could just look down and pick up one of those. It has an amazing 3D shape. Ichthyosaurus and Mosasaurus are some of my favorite creatures. Super jealous! 
(I mean it- I'm really jealous. :drool:;)
I may travel to England one day just to hunt fossils like these!

Have you put this in VFOTM yet? I know it may be a bit of some time that has passed since it's discovery, but after it has been prepped, I am sure that it would get many votes!

Hi Sniper and thank you for your message.  I have been looking for one of these for nearly 40 years so I hope you get lucky a lot sooner.  I didn't put it forward for FOTM but I might do given your encouragement.  I left it with a great preparer I know near where it was found in North Yorkshire and he and I are meeting up within the next couple of weeks.  I am very excited to see how it looks.  I had toyed with the idea of prepping it myself but I thought, no, this is your best find so leave it to an expert.  I look forward to sharing the pictures.  If you ever get to visit the UK make sure to message me and I will forward you maps, locations and a few tips.

Happy Hunting

Steve

23 hours ago, judgesteve said:

I look forward to sharing the pictures.  

I'll be counting down until prepped photos appear. :popcorn::popcorn:
If I do visit the UK (which might be in a while, sadly), your 40 years of hunting experience would be priceless information! 
Thank you for the offer. :) 
FS

• 6 months later...