Sign in to follow this  
Cthulhu2

Gainesville hunting advice

Cthulhu2

Hey guys! I plan on being in Gainesville this Tuesday (4/3) for some solo hunting. Any advice or locations you'd recommend? 

-Terry

caldigger

Ya, don't go alone!...(take me with you)

Cthulhu2
11 hours ago, caldigger said:

Ya, don't go alone!...(take me with you)

Does in spirit count? :D I'll keep you posted on my finds!

Cam28

Hogtown is the well known one, had some good luck there. Also rattlesnake creek apparently is good, have dug 2 secret creeks, colorful teeth common in the area for some reason 

KentB

Hello to all!  I'm a newbie on this forum and pretty new to the hobby in general.  In addition to the Gainesville area creeks that are often talked about, I'm looking for alternatives.  Has anyone ever tried Turkey Creek?  I'm also interested in anything north of town if someone could offer suggestions.  Thanks! - Kent

KaptinKari352

Turkey creek is just mud, not a good place to hunt. I've tried a few times...came up with nothing. 

KentB

Thanks for the reply.  I tried turkey creek in a few spots this weekend and gave up rather quickly.  Went back to a secluded part of hogtown creek and found over 100 small ones in an hour.  An acquaintance shared his finds from a recent day at a private creek up near Lacrosse, and they were pretty awesome.  I hope to find a spot like that one day.

sloganc69

I'm looking forward to a Gainesville adventure!! :)

Shellseeker
11 hours ago, sloganc69 said:

I'm looking forward to a Gainesville adventure!! :)

Welcome to TFF.  It is a great resource for Fossil hunters, especially from Florida.  I am in Fort Myers and have been to Gainesville to hunt twice, once to Hogtown, once to Rattlesnake. It is a long haul for me.  Hopefully other Gainesville local hunters will chime in. 

Colerful but small teeth in Rattlesnake creek.RSCN1408.jpg.06248473502d315184c8643aa5d37ac1.jpg

One great way to identify local hunting spots is to just use TFF Search function on the home page with the word Gainesville... Lots of 1st timers have asked for Gainesville guidance:D