Trilobiting

I found these near the Valley of Fire in Nevada. From what I've researched, the area used to be underwater from 500 million years ago to 250 million years ago. I presume these are ichnofossils of a burrow made by some animal (brachiopod)? The first photo is a burrow in situ. The second photo shows all three burrows. What do you guys think these are?

- Seann

20180401_130247.jpg

20180401_132631.jpg

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

59 minutes ago, caldigger said:

What's your size on these things?

They are all over an inch long. The largest one is 2 inches.

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

The "thing" in the first image looks like a piece of stalactite.  Does the cross section of the end show any concentric layers or radiating structures?

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Try to make some pictures straight to the ends, to see how they appear in cross section.
I'm lealing toward Rhizoliths.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived