A little help for the new collector.

Hello TFF! I'm a fairly new collector and I have to say fossil collecting is the best king of addiction. So I was considering getting this little Elrathia kingii, and because this is would be one of my first trilobites I was wondering if it's restored in any way??? Also is the species kingii or something else?

IMG_0788.PNG

They are very common and not worth faking, so buy this Elrathia kingii with confidence. :trilo:

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks nice to me, I hope you win it but once you started collecting your get the Bug:D

• I found this Informative 1

Also one last question. I drew some arrows pointing towards missing pieces of shell. Are these healed over wounds?

IMG_0788.PNG

I think the bottom arrow shows damage to the body either before, during or after death, the two arrows above this that are opposite each other just show the junction between the thorax and pygidium and the top right arrow may or may not show what killed the trilobite. There seems to be quite a bit of damage to the upper right thorax. But it may have happened after death. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The bottom arrow isn't pointing to damage; that's the junction between the pygidium and the thorax. The two above it are simply gaps caused by the orientation of the pleurae. The uppermost arrow does point to a damaged portion of the thorax, however.

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think the bottom arrow shows damage to the body either before, during or after death, the two arrows above this that are opposite each other just show the junction between the thorax and pygidium and the top right arrow may or may not show what killed the trilobite. There seems to be quite a bit of damage to the upper right thorax. But it may have happened after death. 

Ooooppps, got the first two the wrong way round. :blush:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I agree with everyone else. The trilobite Elrathia kingii is an extremely common species, so it simply does not pay to fake it, since it usually comes at a very cheap price. I place here as a comparison, a specimen of  Elrathia kingii that is deposited in my private collection:

image.png.50e090cdc60c57a11ff03808a29c2969.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG