Merritt Island Matrix - Arthropod Exoskeleton Part?

GeschWhat

That's very interesting! :)
Maybe a coral fragment ?

star-coral-blushingside.thumb.jpg.7c22093cc52565c418af5aa67c26c459.jpg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It looks to me more like calcium that chiton...
Maybe urchin 'teeth'?

urchin teeth.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

7 minutes ago, Auspex said:

It looks to me more like calcium that chiton...
Maybe urchin 'teeth'?

urchin teeth.jpg

Wow...those are really cool looking! Although, I think this is a little beefier. Somewhere in a box, I have some dried urchins that my grandmother collected years ago up in Alaska. I might have to dig them out to see if they still have their mouth parts. :)

There appears to be an endless variety of form with these things. The image I posted was just the first one I came to.

Could also be way off base...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

3 hours ago, Auspex said:

There appears to be an endless variety of form with these things. The image I posted was just the first one I came to.

Could also be way off base...

You could be correct...this is way, way out of my knowledge base. The whole internal structure (Aristotle's lantern) is quite beautiful!

The glossy appearance makes me think enamel. Looks like part of an alligator gar scale.

gar.jpg

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

The glossy appearance makes me think enamel. Looks like part of an alligator gar scale.

gar.jpg

Enamel would fit with what I'm seeing. However, I don't think this is a fragment, since it not appear to be broken (except perhaps in one chipped spot at the narrow end). Aren't scales usually smooth on the under side? Or would the bumpy side be on the surface? With the little nodules on the bottom/sides, it almost appears like it would have been embedded in the skin. What about a denticle/dermal plate? Do gars have those as well? Or am I talking apples and apples? Would additional (better) photos of the sides help? Sorry, I feel like a toddler with all the questions - just way out of my element.

Pharyngeal tooth? 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Everyone is proposing totally different things! This one sure seems like a tough one... 

I'll be following the topic, as I am curious of the evolution on the ID suggestions. :popcorn:

Whatever it is, it sure does look cool, so nice find Lori!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

It might be also a dermal denticle fragment.

5ac558cf1b6be_post-42-0948707001285357586.jpg.0717d7312c82b165812dfa05a4bef357.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

The bumps on the underside don't seem right for a gar scale. 

I think the bone has decomposed leaving only the enamel part of the scale.

Dermaldenticle.thumb.jpg.22597274389e6793344c8e866baf5f7a.jpg

picture from here

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived