Marine invertebrate, Permian (?), Death Valley

Rockhopper

I found this fossil associated with crinoid fragments, a fish spine, and corals. The location was a small canyon in the Cottonwood Mountains of Death Valley. Collecting is not allowed, so unfortunately I have only the one field photograph. Any ideas? It's small; length is about 1.5 cm, a little over half an inch.

Unknown1a.jpg

Looks like a fossil chiton to me. 

It's very beautiful! :)

Oh, and hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Chitons have eight segments.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I was wondering if the grayish projections were secondary growths. Here's a picture of the fish spine. (edit: it's about 6 cm long, about 3 inches. Not a fish you'd keep for dinner, exactly.)

FishBackbone.jpg

33 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Chitons have eight segments.

True.

Okay a related early polyplacophoran? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

True.

Okay a related early polyplacophoran? 

Have to disagree with this.

We are looking at a transverse cross section with an internal structure exposed.

There is a smaller one that is a better cross section just below the main piece.

I agree with an encrusting bryozoan on something (crinoid or cephalopod?).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

7 hours ago, Foozil said:

Maybe a bryozoan or coral encrusted crinoid stem.

Also do you have any pics of the fish spine?

I agree, bryozoan on crinoid.

Tarquin

Not a chiton. Have a  look on my signature, you can find some publications about recent polyplacophora. As Abyssunder said : chitons always have 8 plates.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm slightly embarrassed, as the segmented section in the original post pretty much exactly matches the crinoid segments found in other rocks at the site -- clearly a fragment of crinoid stem. I should have figured that out from the context. The grayish halo of other material may be badly weathered: wherever the other fossils included similar grayish mineral, the mineral appears to have weathered much faster than the rusty-brown matrix. Perhaps it's a carbonate, and particularly soluble. Given the degree of probable erosion, I wouldn't know a bryozoan from an encrusting coral. Or from bubblegum. In the image below, from the same site, you can see crinoid segments which have eroded preferentially, leaving in one case something that looks very much like vertebrae -- but which is really the cast of the inner canal of the criniod stem, I think, surrounded by the eroded mineral of the stem discs. To the right are a couple of stem segments that have mostly lost the gray mineral, leaving the inner canal surrounded by the radially-grooved inter-segment surfaces. At least, that's how I interpret it. Tricky stuff, these fossil tricks.

image.thumb.png.eaa15365d23a4c6fbd01dd76f3d72367.png

Archived