My Fake

dr heckle

found this in the back of a cupboard recently made it years ago in an art class its amazing what you can do with some clay red dye and an stick insect

post-587-1250079100_thumb.jpg post-587-1250079114_thumb.jpg

the instructor gave me the idea with one he made out of a butterfly he found unfortunately i never got a picture of his.

ps. the stick insect was dead when i found it ^_^

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

Better then some Morocco and china junk

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Neat piece.When I was in Arkansas 9 years ago I caught a huge Walking Stick.It measured 8" long and was at least 5/16" at it's widest point.Impressive insect!

Neat piece.When I was in Arkansas 9 years ago I caught a huge Walking Stick.It measured 8" long and was at least 5/16" at it's widest point.Impressive insect!

Never saw one with wings, though!

Thank just gave me any idea for my next project do with my wife....lol

She just LOVES our house centipedes (Scutigera coleoptrata) ;)

post-986-1250103233_thumb.jpg

post-986-1250103244_thumb.jpg

Thank just gave me any idea for my next project do with my wife....lol

She just LOVES our house centipedes (Scutigera coleoptrata) ;)

not sure if your serios or not but if you are and for anyone else out there who wants to try it heres how you do it ;)

step 1: locate a nice specimen of whatever species it is that you would like to "fossilise" eg. butterfly, ant, plant leaves or flowers.

step 2: roll out a large peice of clay so that it is about 1.5-2.5 cm thick (as long as it covers the specimen the more irregular the shape the better)

step 3: take said specimen and lay it on top of a flat even, easily lifted and and inverted surface say a board for example however what ever you decide to use ensure that it will not leave a noticable pattern on the clay eg wooden board=impression of the grain of the wood.

step 4: take flattened clay and slam it down with a great amount of force onto the specimen that you have selected

step 5: leave the clay on the board with the specimum underneath for a time untill the clay feels like it has dried most of the way out, if you attempt to flip it over at this time there is a good chance that you will warp the immpression not only that but you will ruin the surprise of what it looks like

step 6: when dried properly carefully invert the board supporting the clay plate with the other hand and place the plate insect up into kiln or other device for pottery firing

note: do not complete step 6 unless you are ready to fire it

step 7: when safe to do so remove the plate from the kiln the specimum should have been completely burned away leaving an impression

step 8: in order to achieve a look close to that of rock, water down some rusty red coluored dye and use a sponge to wipe the plate with a pattern close to that found on natural rocks

step 9: once the ink has dried get a pair of tile cutters and use them to take random chunks out of the sides of the plate to give a look as though it has been broken away from other rocks ensure that no smove edges remain

and thats it your own fake fossil is completed oh before i forget it is important not to remove your specimen from the clay during any of the steps as this will ruin the cast.

have fun ^_^

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away