Color of Russian trilobites

Shuo Wang

Why are trilobites brown from Russia and black from other countries? What's the difference of the mineral composition between a brown trilobite and a black one? Both the trilobite fossil and the matrix are stones, why are their colors so different?

It is dependent on the minerals that were present in the sediments and water during the fossilization process. 

There are many brown trilobites from the US and Canada. I've found black, white, grey, and brown trilobites in the Middle Devonian of New York State.

I'm sure  @doushantuo probably has some taphonomic papers that address this question.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The chemical make up of the sediments contribute to the fossil. If iron is present it may give the rock a reddish color. Phosphates may darken the rock to gray or black. The trilobites I find in the Upper Mississippi Valley also have the brownish caramel color as well. As Tim stated, they're not endemic to just Russia. 

For example

20180403_165837.thumb.jpg.e87dccc640b9dfe71807d6fd5558877e.jpg

These cephalons and bits are the brownish caramel color in question. They're from Indiana The Waldron shale and are silurian. 

...I'm back.

41 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

It is dependent on the minerals that were present in the sediments and water during the fossilization process. 

There are many brown trilobites from the US and Canada. I've found black, white, grey, and brown trilobites in the Middle Devonian of New York State.

I'm sure  @doushantuo probably has some taphonomic papers that address this question.

Thanks for your explanation.

21 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

The chemical make up of the sediments contribute to the fossil. If iron is present it may give the rock a reddish color. Phosphates may darken the rock to gray or black. The trilobites I find in the Upper Mississippi Valley also have the brownish caramel color as well. As Tim stated, they're not endemic to just Russia. 

It turns out that iron is the "brownish ingredient". Thanks a lot for your answer!

1 hour ago, Raggedy Man said:

For example

20180403_165837.thumb.jpg.e87dccc640b9dfe71807d6fd5558877e.jpg

These cephalons and bits are the brownish caramel color in question. They're from Indiana The Waldron shale and are silurian. 

If iron was present during the fossilization process, why is only trilobite brown? It looks like brownish trilobites are usually with white or gray matrix stones.

This bumps up against the question of biochromes (organic pigments) and sclerochromes (colours associated with structure). It sounds like a trip to the library may be in your future!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

This bumps up against the question of biochromes (organic pigments) and sclerochromes (colours associated with structure). It sounds like a trip to the library may be in your future!

It seems to be a complicated issue.

There are other elements that can cause black or brown colors besides iron.

You can also have combinations of trace elements that will affect the color of a fossil.

It is a very complex subject.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived