Shark tooth from Zeeland

Max-fossils

Hi all, 

I bought this small tooth at the market of Middelburg (Netherlands). 

It's from somewhere in Zeeland (south-west Netherlands). The age is either Eocene (rare) or Mio-Pliocene. 

The sellers didn't know from which beach exactly in Zeeland it is from, which is a shame, but doesn't matter too much because basically all the teeth from Zeeland are from the same sediments.

What species do you guys think this is? I know it is quite worn, but I think the condition is still good enough to make a good ID out of it. No signs of serrations. One big cusp, and the sign of a small one on the other side. If any more pictures are needed, let me know!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Max

IMG_6604.JPG

IMG_6605.JPG

IMG_6606.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_6607.JPG

IMG_6608.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

There's also a second tooth, with the same provenance. 

IMG_6609.JPG

IMG_6610.JPG

IMG_6611.JPG

Max Derème

If there were serrations I would say this looks like my small Otodus auriculatus (rare) from the Eocene-Oligocene. If there are really no serrations I think Jaekelotodus sp.

Just now, gigantoraptor said:

If there were serrations I would say this looks like my small Otodus auriculatus (rare) from the Eocene-Oligocene. If there are really no serrations I think Jaekelotodus sp.

Ok thanks. Nah I don't think it's an auri. Jaekelotodus does seem to match decently though. 

Just to make sure, this is about #1 right?

Max Derème

6 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Nah I don't think it's an auri.

I agree, they tend to have jagged serrations, If it had worn those away the root would be just as worn.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

14 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I agree, they tend to have jagged serrations, If it had worn those away the root would be just as worn.

Yep. So what could this one be?

Max Derème

15 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Yep. So what could this one be?

Posterior Striatolamia microta methinks

From Here

E34E505F-88A2-4C6F-9FE4-B1D4805BE178.png

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Posterior Striatolamia macrota methinks

From Here

Ah! That's probably it. Thanks a lot Mason!

What about the second one?

Max Derème

I agree, first one is posterior Striatolamia and last one is lateral Hypotodus verticalis, also Eocene. Here is one from elasmo.

image.jpeg.15f9269b3d2d038f506dd912e975baf6.jpeg

The Tooth Fairy

6 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

I agree, first one is posterior Striatolamia and last one is lateral Hypotodus verticalis, also Eocene. Here is one from elasmo.

Awesome, thanks!

Cool that both are Eocene, as these are rarer than the Mio-Pliocene teeth. 

Max Derème

Archived