Seguidora-de-Isis

Hi. Good afternoon to everyone! In one lot, the seller is selling these two fossil fish. Please, then I have two questions:

01 - Any makeup or paint here? It's real?

02 - Which one is Knightia eocaena and which one is Knightia alta? Or are the two of a  specie?

Thanks for all the comments!:D

:tff: :tff::tff:

Fish 01

image.thumb.png.f2cc44aa1f8202a55f4376afd01b37a6.png

:tff: :tff:  :tff:

Fish 02

image.png.4cadf263a39c2d8803c7b982c18ddbd9.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

They seem real to me. I can't really tell which is which because I am not an expert, but to me on the first image the one at the bottom of the slate seems like a Knightia Alta.

Regards, Leander

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Common and not worth faking. I don't see any retouching either.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks 100% real to me. As far as I know K. alta is smaller and wider than K. eocaena. So these look al K. eocaena to me.

I don't see any Knightia alta here.  :unsure: 

The second one is a Knightia eocaena as well. 

Knightia alta  has a much deeper body than K. eocaena, and also has a smaller/shorter caudal fin. 

I'm not seeing those features on any of these fish. 

I 'm pretty sure the multi plate have had the bodies and heads painted. It is a much better job than usual, but still enhanced.

Luckily, it is done in such a way as to not detract from the fossil. 

I'd put it in my collection. :) 

image.png.7145b8781031403cd5c60998e07a7d00.png

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

I don't see any Knightia alta here.  :unsure: 

The second one is a Knightia eocaena as well. 

Knightia alta  has a much deeper body than K. eocaena, and also has a smaller/shorter caudal fin. 

I'm not seeing those features on any of these fish. 

I 'm pretty sure the multi plate have had the bodies and heads painted. It is a much better job than usual, but still enhanced.

Luckily, it is done in such a way as to not detract from the fossil. 

I'd put it in my collection. :) 

image.png.7145b8781031403cd5c60998e07a7d00.png

Just amazing my friend @Fossildude19 !

Thank you! :D

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Yup. I agree with Tim's assessment. Even those these are THE most common fossil fish in the Green River Formation and thus not worth the effort to fake, these seem to have been "enhanced". This plate from the split-fish layer is the lesser of two halves. Usually a split fish layer splits with most of the bones and scales on one side and the other side being mostly a negative impression of the other side with a few bones but not the majority (hence, the term "split-fish"). This one appears to be the side that had fewer bones (ribs, verts, fin rays, skull elements) and virtually no scales. The outline of these fish were (reasonably expertly) water color painted in so as to appear more complete. Still a pretty fossil to look at (but not as much when viewed closely). It's a nice assemblage but I'd rather have the other half of this split plate (which probably sold for more).

Cheers.

-Ken

• 5 months later...

Knightia are so common that you could probably sell a good fake for more than a moderate real one

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Archived