Max-fossils

Hi all,

In the market of Middelburg, I saw this big fossil for sale. 

The stand owners say it is a Spinosaurus tooth from the Tenere desert, from the Cretaceous (when precisely they don't know). But I am not very sure of this ID, because I am not seeing anything that really looks like enamel. Also, it is HUGE! Some of the photos show a 10c (Euro) coin or my hand for size indication... It's approximately 18cm from tip to tip. I don't know much about spino teeth, but isn't that a tad too big?

So, what exactly is it? Is it indeed a giant spino tooth? If yes, is this a normal size for it to reach? If it isn't, what is it then? And how much of it is real (in case part of it is fake)?

Unfortunately, I didn't buy the fossil, so I can't give any extra pictures. 

I am curious to see what your answers are!

Best regards,

Max

IMG_6564.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_6565.JPG

IMG_6566.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

IMG_6567.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_6568.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_6569.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_6570.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_6571.JPG

Max Derème

Just now, gigantoraptor said:

I don't think this is a dinosaur tooth,looks more like walrus tusk to me.

It does indeed. But what would a walrus be doing in the middle of a desert amongst dinosaurs?

Max Derème

Doesn't look like tusk or tooth to me, I'd go with carved bone. An 18 cm dinosaur tooth for 39 Euros?

5 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

It does indeed. But what would a walrus be doing in the middle of a desert amongst dinosaurs?

I don't think it's from the Tenere desert either. This looks nothing like preservation I am used to see from this area. I guess It's just a walrus tusk with unknown provenance. 

Just now, Taogan said:

Doesn't look like tusk or tooth to me, I'd go with carved bone. An 18 cm dinosaur tooth for 39 Euros?

The prices in general at this stand are a bit wonky, some of them way overpriced and others way underpriced. They are not professional sellers, and only sell these fossils in order to fund a bit for the Zeeuws Genootschap (which they are part of), so the prices aren't very fair usually (for the seller or buyer). 

Max Derème

1 minute ago, gigantoraptor said:

I don't think it's from the Tenere desert either. This looks nothing like preservation I am used to see from this area. I guess It's just a walrus tusk with unknown provenance. 

That's the one thing they were certain about. That it came from the Tenere desert. I asked them if it didn't come from China, and they assuredly answered with a "Nee, het is zeker weten van de Tenere woestijn" (Translation: "No, it is surely from the Tenere desert). I asked them several times just to make sure, but the answer was the same each time. So maybe we should rely on that info. 

Max Derème

If it has any age I wouldn't say it was a fossil, but a sailing tool called a fid, I've seen similar objects carved out of whalebone.

1 minute ago, Taogan said:

If it has any age I wouldn't say it was a fossil, but a sailing tool called a fid, I've seen similar objects carved out of whalebone.

It does also kinda look like that. But the question arises again: what would a sailing tool be doing in a desert??? Unless I'm unaware of the latest "sandboat" invented by the Niger nomads, there shouldn't be any boats in the Tenere. 

Max Derème

Just now, Troodon said:

You did the right thing passing on it, certainty not a tooth for the reasons stated.  

Well, what is it then? There clearly is bone-structure in the thing, whatever it is. And it was rather heavy too, so I'm pretty convinced it's fossil bone. 

What part of the body is it then? Or is it a carved thing like @Taogan suggested? :headscratch:

Max Derème

5 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

It does also kinda look like that. But the question arises again: what would a sailing tool be doing in a desert??? Unless I'm unaware of the latest "sandboat" invented by the Niger nomads, there shouldn't be any boats in the Tenere. 

The seller obviously has no clue, what it is pure guess work.  a carved bone?

To me, the portion below the "mustache" looks sanded down to create a sharper point. It appears to be flattened in too many planes where the surface gets sharp from not smoothing out the roundness in the curve.

20180404_122641.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I agree, this looks like a carved bone, to me.  
And I would  also question the seller's adamant  statements as to where it was found. 

Not very reliable if they are trying to pass this off as a tooth. :unsure:  <_< 

Doesn't look like a tooth. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I wouldn't rule out cast. There seem to be some holes that look like bubbles. Especially the underside looks dubious to me.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yes, looks like resin to me. 

I'm sure I can see the bubbles. 

The seller might be honest, just fooled, but this is not a dino tooth, let alone Spinosaurus, and it's not from any desert, never mind the Tenere. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Troodon @caldigger @Fossildude19 @LordTrilobite @Tidgy's Dad

Alright thanks all for the comments! It seems definite then that this isn't a fossil. 

They probably did get fooled, as Adam suggested, just like I did when I saw it. 

Max Derème

Archived