WANTED: Micro Jack 4

holdinghistory

I have been wanting a Micro Jack for a while. If anyone has one that they don't use, I would be interested in buying or trading for it. If not I will probably order one from PaleoTools soon.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the forum is great for trades, but I've not found too many occasions where people have wanted to part with any type of prep gear. I wasn't even able to get anyone to part with a burned out scribe stylus for testing in my CP knock-off. It's a bummer, but it makes sense. Equipment is expensive, and once you've got it, it seems almost pointless to let it go even as you upgrade, always want to have things on stand-by for when the new gear invariably goes down for maintenance. I too, am going to be ordering a micro jack from PaleoTools in the next few weeks, and finally making the leap to the trinocular stereo microscope for the workbench. My eyes are going to thank me!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

6 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

and finally making the leap to the trinocular stereo microscope for the workbench. My eyes are going to thank me!

And so will your prep abilities! I found I was able to get far more detail and make less mistakes when I got my trinoc.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I am debating between that and the German HW-1 or HW-10. Anyone have experience with those?

6 minutes ago, holdinghistory said:

I am debating between that and the German HW-1 or HW-10. Anyone have experience with those?

I haven't used either, but have you found a price on them? I'd be curious to know myself. The HW-10 looks like a good unit, but they don't list a price that I can see.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

If you send them an email, they should send a price list pretty quickly, always have responded promptly for me. 

• I found this Informative 1

I was just watching their product demo videos, seems like the HW-1 would be good for very fine work, but the HW-10 seems to be able to handle way more material. I wish they would do a demo of how the HW-10 works in micro.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

47 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Since we're on the subject of scopes, I don't suppose anyone is looking to part with one? I'd rather give the money to a member than an auction site.

AM Scope has amazing prices for trinoc bench mounted boom scopes. 

Edit: Just checked and they still have the scope I use, but the price has increased a little and they still offer "free shipping" to the lower 48 states. I took the liberty and sent you a link in a PM.

...I'm back.

Talk to me about scopes on Sunday. I sorta know what I'm doing. Very easy to not end up with something that you will not outgrow. 

My main fine scribe is a German pferd mst31 with the fine stylus. Ebay GErmany has one on sale now at a super price. About 1/2 off list. You can also get a medium stylus which is good for heavier removal. (usually comes with medium and you buy the fine as a 2nd. A top quality German unit. The Paleotools are a great unit but the microjacks are really not for bulk removal .......they shine at super fine detail.

A real ARO or CP9361 are generally what I recommend people as a first scribe. I would have several other scribes in my tool set before buying a Paleo. I regularly use the Pferd, an ARO, a CP9361 and a bulk removal stylus from Britain. I currently have 8 working scribes and one broken scribe. My next scribe will be the super fine Paleo or the fossil upgrade kit they have.

The pferd mst31 is more like an Aro then? I have an Aro and a CP9361, so looking primarily for a detail scribe. 

That said, how does the mst31 compare to an Aro? I might pick that scribe up off the bay too.

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

My main fine scribe is a German pferd mst31 with the fine stylus. Ebay GErmany has one on sale now at a super price. About 1/2 off list. You can also get a medium stylus which is good for heavier removal. (usually comes with medium and you buy the fine as a 2nd. A top quality German unit. The Paleotools are a great unit but the microjacks are really not for bulk removal .......they shine at super fine detail.

A real ARO or CP9361 are generally what I recommend people as a first scribe. I would have several other scribes in my tool set before buying a Paleo. I regularly use the Pferd, an ARO, a CP9361 and a bulk removal stylus from Britain. I currently have 8 working scribes and one broken scribe. My next scribe will be the super fine Paleo or the fossil upgrade kit they have.

Can't find in on there, any chance you could PM the link?

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA