Inspired by my friend, Darktooth, Dave and his recent exploits at Deep Springs Road quarry I decided due to a favorable weather report on Monday to visit my favorite site for the for first time in 2018. I woke up Monday morning to an inch of snow in the Hudson Valley. Headed north on the Thruway to Albany through more snow, then west, finally on Route 20. About hallway there, the sky cleared and the snow covering reduced to patches. After a three and a half hour trip I arrived at Deep Springs Road. True to Dave's word, the site was completely snow free. The temp was in the mid 40s, sunny and warm enough that later in the day I was removing my outerwear.  Deep Springs Road quarry is the eastern most exposure of the Windom Shale, the Moscow Formation which lies at the top of the Hamilton Group- which is also the top of the Middle Devonian. It is the same formation exposed at Penn Dixie. What is notable about this site is the biodiversity- at least 20 species of brachiopods, more than 20 species of bivalves, at least 5 species of gastropods, plus cephalopods, trilobites, phyllocarids, plants, etc. Dave's recent excavation left me a lot of rock to split which took up most of my day. I did my own excavation as well. Here are some of my finds:

My favorite find of the day- the largest Spyroceras nautiloid I've found at the site so far. A Cimitaria recurva, a bivalve in 3D. Pholadella radiate, another bivalve.

image1 (291).JPG

image1 (290).JPG

image1 (289).JPG

Mytilarca oviformis, a bivalve. Paleoneilo emarginata, a bivalve. Tellinopsis subemarginata, a bivalve.

image1 (288).JPG

image1 (287).JPG

image1 (285).JPG

A Cypricardella tenuistriata, a bivalve and a Modiomorpha concentrica, a bivalve with both valves open.

image1 (281).JPG

image1 (283).JPG

Another Modiomorpha concentrica- one valve this time. Didn't see a whole lot of gastropods worth bringing home, but I couldn't resist this Glyptomaria capillaria.

image1 (284).JPG

image1 (282).JPG

Of course there were  brachiopods. I brought back this complete Mucrospirifer mucronatus and these small Rhipidomella penelope.

image1 (286).JPG

Finally there were the trilobites. I found this Greenops lying in the talus, unfortunately missing most of its cephalon. The other Greenops is folded over . Here are views from both sides. I hope to get back to Deep Springs Road quarry soon. Thanks for viewing this photo essay.

image1 (279).JPG

image1 (280).JPG

image1 (278).JPG

Great finds , great variety of specimens. I really like your  Mucrospirifer mucronatus :wub:Thanks for the report. 

WOW!!!!!!!!!!  I am so in love with your Spyroceras sp. and your Cypricardella tenuistriata with a little bonus brachiopod shell on it!!! :drool:

Nice finds and some great photos! :)

A good day out it seems. 

I particularly love the Rhipidomella! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Pretty productive trip! I like all those bivalves - quite the diversity just within that group. The other stuff is great too.

Hi Jeff! I am really glad that you were able to make it out and have a good time. You got some nice specimens as I knew you would. Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Great report as always, Jeff. 
Thanks for posting your finds. 

Can't wait to get out there again. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Some real winning bivalves there, Jeffrey! - And that Glyptomaria gastro is a charmer. :) If you and Dave haven't hoovered them all up, I hope to get down there later this month. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Some real winning bivalves there, Jeffrey! - And that Glyptomaria gastro is a charmer. :) If you and Dave haven't hoovered them all up, I hope to get down there later this month. 

Don't talk the talk, instead walk the walk!:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Don't talk the talk, instead walk the walk!:D

Hehe... Working on it. At this point is when, not if, I make it there. I'll be firing off a PM to let you know. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you for these beautiful photos. I love Devonian brachiopods. Too bad he does not flush near my home.

Some neat stuff over there!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

20 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Nice trip report!  It looks like you found some real goodies!  Well worth another visit!

-Joe

Thank you. I've probably been there a dozen times and I plan to keep going.

19 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Holy schneikies those are nice.  As ever, I am :envy:

Thanks. Glad you like them. 

16 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

What a great diversity! Looks like a site worth visiting regularly.

Thanks Roger. Biodiversity is the greatest asset of the site. You have some specimens from there in your collection. I plan to continue going there. I have a shopping list of specimens I still haven't found there.

15 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Great finds , great variety of specimens. I really like your  Mucrospirifer mucronatus :wub:Thanks for the report. 

Thanks Bobby. Those Mucros are super common there, but getting a complete one out of the matrix is rare. 

14 hours ago, Monica said:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!  I am so in love with your Spyroceras sp. and your Cypricardella tenuistriata with a little bonus brachiopod shell on it!!! :drool:

Thanks Monica. Glad you appreciate those specimens. Spyroceras pieces are pretty common at the site, but nearly complete ones are very rare.

Archived