Some older fossils

Shellseeker

I was out hunting today, and found some unusual stuff for me. Example of a known is this Galeocerdo contortus . I do not find them with this level of preserved serrations. To me this means a likely Miocene location.

IMG_1408contortus.thumb.jpg.4b52a766e4b292c0c0648d3c6ef7ed88.jpg

So three (3) requested IDs

First:

IMG_1411rostral.thumb.jpg.6a9c7578f668ace954bfa49dc979c849.jpg

Second: In a different location a week ago, I found the one on the left.  Maybe concretion,  with strange circular "pore"... but then the one on the right today.  So this is something, possibly fossil or what?

IMG_1406unknown.jpg.44e9ffb0165b34628c23164a9b9aa6e4.jpg

Last, A Ray mouthplate: Worn , very thin,  Can someone id the specific ray?

IMG_1402ray.thumb.jpg.4e4fc6679a27e02e3dc396b7689ea95f.jpg

IMG_1403ray.thumb.jpg.d5aa761bc82af988ee33469d93a165ec.jpg

Thanks for all comments and replies.  A VERY interesting day with many unique and unknown (to me) fossils. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hi @Shellseeker well, I know that your second image is probably a rostral from a sawtooth fish.  Here is an example of one from the Belgrade.  As Gesh stated the round ones are Tilly bones. I just picked up four of them on the Savannah River this weekend.   Overgrowth of bone on a fish vert.

5ac5917ca8a9e_Anoxypristisrostralteeth_BelgradeFormation_LateOligoceneNorthCarolina.jpg.39d25938ce293e8c42e6eb0d57378548.jpg

These are:

Anoxypristis rostral teeth from the Belgrade Formation Late Oligocene North Carolina

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I think the concretion-like things are tilly bones. See here.

Almost painful to look at aren't they ?

• I found this Informative 1

I agree....

The first it's a rostral tooth for a Sawfish and the second one tilly bones.

I’m kinda confused how you came to the conclusion the serrations meant Miocene? Contortus is usually Miocene, and serrations are a matter of preservation...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’m kinda confused how you came to the conclusion the serrations meant Miocene? Contortus is usually Miocene, and serrations are a matter of preservation...

Yes, I can see the confusion... You are correct, quality of preservation has little to do with age of the location or the era in which a specific fossil existed.  I was pleased that I was finding G. Aduncus & G. Contortus in such high quality that I wanted to make a point that it is VERY rare for me to find either with this detail on serrations.

My hunting grounds are a mixture of miocene, pliocene and pleistocene. Based on experience and results, pleistocene fossils dominate. My chances of finding Nannippus are 1 in a thousand compared to Equus chances. So when I use the term, likely miocene location, I am actually saying that I am far more likely to find miocene species, than is normal for me.

Generally, in my Tiger Shark finds, Curvier dominates with Contortus playing the role of Nannippus. Yesterday I found 8 Contortus, 5 Aduncus, 1 Curvier in a mix of hundreds of small shark teeth.

We found 10 Anoxypristis teeth, which is also very unusual...plus a number of other unusual finds for me.

I am not sure this is  a miocene location, have to go back and see the results over many trips.

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hey hi Jack,

Physogaleus contortus (GIBBES, 1849) extinct Tiger-like shark  is common in the STH fauna.

There is very little wear on STH shark teeth. Of the ones I have found maybe 20 % are serrated and the rest are not.

Tony

PS Nice finds!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@Shellseeker I understand stand now, thanks:)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason