First Trip Desires Accomplished In One Rock

minnbuckeye

We temporarily melted our snow enough for me to get out last week for a short fossil hunt. But yesterday, 9" of snow put further hunts on hold. I had to stick with south facing slopes due to the frost in the ground. My goal was to look for a mixed bag of cephalopods, gastropods, and trilobites. Success was had with one swing of the hammer!!!! 

DSC_0196.thumb.JPG.b65f27446019ad62f82ef2d611d59184.JPGDSC_0197.thumb.JPG.755bb00f546aeb01d5731152e8184e20.JPGDSC_0195.thumb.JPG.25c5253fd997dd4557b6e58c50602bf4.JPG 

Two cephalopods, two trilobites, six gastropods and one brachiopod all in one rock! 

An all inclusive fossil rock, how devine!

Sure saves space when displaying ones collection.  Great looking piece also.

Congratulations! And double luck for you, it could have easily shattered in pieces!

Franz Bernhard

Well done! Great association. The trilos are fantastic. :envy:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

FANTASTIC piece! I love it when there are multiple fossils in one reasonably sized rock!

Hey Mike, Minnesota Bound is planning on doing a fossil hunting segment here on May 16th or 17th, would love to have you join our group! Also, have you ever been to the Cabbage Rocks in eastern Fillmore County over by Choice on state land? They are supposed to be billion year old stroms! I saw them once years ago on a trail ride and to see them again is on my bucket list.

5ac62c41dcb4e_cabbagerock5SharonStorhoffmabel.jpg.6589a12a87ab3dcaf1e343668c6393f6.jpg

I found a gal who said she could guide me to them on horseback. I'm trying to line her up for May also. $75 per person. Interested?

Bev  :-)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Hey Mike, wonderful piece! You need to let me borrow that golden horse shoe in the shape of a four leaf clover sometime...

...I'm back.

Excellent find Mike:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Very cool find! Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

4 hours ago, Bev said:

Hey Mike, Minnesota Bound is planning on doing a fossil hunting segment here on May 16th or 17th, would love to have you join our group!

Hi Bev,

Sounds like a unique event to tag along along for. Keep me posted on details!!! Ron Schera's crew had asked me once to do something but after telling them OK, I never heard back! This was 4-5 years ago.

Reminds me of my recent 5th trip for Conasauga bugs. Made it my mission to find an Agnostid. Low and behold, first piece of shale that had something in it produced this killer Barrandagnostus inexpectans :

IMG_20180405_114813.thumb.jpg.5e889b9977a402946125615e4c334347.jpg

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Also, can you point out the bugs in this rock? I don't see them right now.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

3 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Hi Bev,

Sounds like a unique event to tag along along for. Keep me posted on details!!! 

Will do!  Perhaps through Raggedy Man - Paul. Todd and Geschwhat are coming down. Going to see if I can get a lady geologist friend interested too. The more people they can interview besides me the better!  LOL  Laura Scara (sp?) loved the idea of more people. :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

@Bev, I pulled out the calling card  for Ron Schara Productions and the director of operations that I was in touch with was Kelly. Is Laura Ron's daughter? Also, Offer my barn as a place to take some footage. I have 50 hash plates lining one wall. I think it looks neat. Then I have a 3 or 4 shelf units for my favorite fossils. Then brachiopods, crinoids, corals , cephalopods, and gastropods each have their own shelving, usually4-5 shelves apiece. Trilobites have a few cabinets. Then there is my collections of Florida and Wyoming fossils, probably not what Minnesota bound wants to see. But I do have a collection of crystals, vugs, and cave formations. Finally, a shelving unit housing items given to me or won in a contest, or trades. Can provide you with pictures if they have an interest. It would show them that you are not the only "fool' playing with rocks of SE Minnesota.. 

44 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@MeargleSchmeargl, I can't be too greedy. The trilobites are only pygidiums of Thaleops, seen in the foreground of the first picture.

Ahh I see it now.

What I would LOVE Mike is your full name spelled correctly, contact info including address and pics and I can send them to Laura, she is the one, yes Ron's daughter, who contacted me. She said she plans to interview others, I would think you are one of them!

My experience with TV/Newspaper reporters is that they truly appreciate a list of people who they are going to meet, a 2-3 sentence bio related to the subject (fossils) on each with their names and contact info if there are any questions after the segment is filmed.

My geologist/fossil hunting friend has a couple of kids we can throw in the mix for a family outing. If I can send your info ahead she will probably stop at your home before or after they are here. You know my email: bcfossillady@gmail.com  I'm just trying to facilitate this as being the best possible segment we can help them to create on fossil hunting. She originally wanted to do it in June, well the weeds are getting up there by then and Masonic has that lovely carpet of wildflowers in May along with the "cave man" cave, spring, stunning cliff and Deer Creek and abandoned quarry! But the way this spring is going, wow, will we have spring by then! I have 8 inches of snow on the ground now with more to come!

Get me what you can how you can and I will get it to her.  :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Nice piece. I like the little 'nautiloid'.

Would be a good one to add to Gery's 'assciated fossils' thread:

Not being presumptive but how long did it take to put it back together?

There is an old thread here that shows stones that have multiple specimens and or several different species

consolidated together. (Associated) Maybe place it with them as part of an on-going addition.

I really like finding a collection all together like this.

Archived