April 2018 - Finds of the Month-

Fossildude19

On 4/11/2018 at 10:36 PM, MarcusFossils said:

Hi all,

I'd like to present my find from today (April 11th), and the best find I've ever made: an Ordovician eurypterid from Quebec!

This is a large (possibly the largest known) fragment of one of the earliest eurypterids, Megalograptus sp.

This come from the Pontgravé River Formation, which preserved fossils dating from the late Ordovician, near St-Mathias, Quebec, Canada.

The fossil might not look like much, but it's extremely rare, and of high scientific value.

Cheers,

Marc

Whoa cool find!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

15 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Neat. Been a while since I've seen the sea scorpions make their rounds.

Just now, Max-fossils said:

Whoa cool find!

Thanks guys! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

On 6.4.2018 at 5:04 PM, D.N.FossilmanLithuania said:

Dear JohnJ,

These bison phalanges are found in one very small area of deeply mixed sand (the location is near Saltinelis primary school, Varena town). :) 

The bones were almost in the same place (about 1 meter from each other) and the joint matching shows they belong to the same animal. :)

Best Regards

Domas  

Just because they came out of the same dig doesn't necessarily mean that they are from the same animal, let alone the same toe. No offense. Just saying.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, MarcusFossils said:

What you see in the fossil is two tergites (segments) of the postabdomen (tail). 

Here's another photo:

And here's a photo of a Megalograptus postabdomen from Ohio:

Great find! 

Congratulations! :yay-smiley-1:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 hours ago, MarcusFossils said:

What you see in the fossil is two tergites (segments) of the postabdomen (tail). 

Neat! 

Looks like this will be yet another arthropod month. :trilo:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

2 short weeks left. Who will make the next move? :popcorn:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Hi, found this concretion on the 5th April, good sized Ichthyosaur piece containing four visible verts and articulated ribs on both sides, neural arches can also be seen with some Ammonite remains, this Ichthyosaur is around 180 million years old.  Delicate piece so have been using dental tools to remove the matrix, found on the Jurassic Yorkshire coast in England, thanks, Alan.

20180406_185109-600x800.jpg

1. Date of discovery - April 5, 2018

2.Scientific or Common name -  Ichthyosaur

3.Geologic Age or Geologic Formation -  Jurassic

4.State, Province, or Region found - Yorkshire, UK

1 hour ago, Crann said:

Hi, found this concretion on the 5th April, good sized Ichthyosaur piece containing four visible verts and articulated ribs on both sides, neural arches can also be seen with some Ammonite remains, delicate piece so have been using dental tools to remove the matrix, found on the Jurassic Yorkshire coast in England, thanks, Alan.

More pictures from different angles?

@Crann

Alan, it would help if you could please edit your post to meet the format mentioned in the first post.  Thanks.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

17 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@Crann

Alan, it would help if you could please edit your post to meet the format mentioned in the first post.  Thanks.  ;)

@Crann This one:

1. Date of discovery

2.Scientific or Common name

3.Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

4.State, Province, or Region found

5. Photos (if prepped, before and after photos,required please.)

Date of discovery: Sunday 22 April 2018

Scientific name: Euproops sp.

Geological age: Asturian (Westphalian D), Late Carboniferous

Locality: Piesberg quarry, near Osnabrück, Germany

Euproops.thumb.JPG.3de06fe1577df360bd670f04b3bc30cd.JPG

I would like to enter the above specimen of Euproops, a Carboniferous xiphosuran distantly related to the extant horseshoe crabs. It was found last Sunday (22 April 2018), in the Carboniferous of the Piesberg quarry near Osnabrück, Germany. While plant fossils occur abundantly at this locality, remnants of animals are considerably more rare, so I am overjoyed with this "by-catch". The silver colour of the fossil is caused by gümbelite (illite-2M2) mineralization, similar to pyrophyllite mineralization causing the white colour of fossils from St. Clair, PA-USA. The second photograph is a snapshot from the field showing both part and counterpart of the specimen (apologies for the poor photo quality).

20180422_133445.thumb.jpg.9ab8a75bfe1c4d1663cea4254e04f70d.jpg

The prosoma (crescent-shaped front segment of the body) of the specimen is just a little shy of 4 cm wide. The specimen's dimensions and the morphology of the opisthosoma (back segment of the body) place the specimen in Stage 7-8 of the ontogenetic sequence for Piesberg-Euproops growth, as reconstructed by Haug et al. (2012) on the basis of 37 specimens. This suggests my specimen represents a more-or-less mature animal.

5ae201724ed7a_Haugetal.(2012)analysis.jpg.e5bbd2b8a368464fece4e5797df788a0.jpg

Searching for green in the dark grey.

My competition mounts. Heart is pounding. :blink:

Good luck all.

Nice selection of unusual arthropods this month!  That Megalograptus is a rare find indeed, and that Euproops is spectacular! :wub: :drool: :envy:

Every month, the FOTM competition is a veritable museum of goodies.

Don

3 days left. Good luck.

Xiphactinus Fish jaws + vertebrae 

Dallas, TX

Late Cretaceous

Atco Formation(Austin Group)

85-88 mya

Found- 3/16, 4/18

Final prep- 4/18

565EF7BE-EE8D-4D34-B78E-02EDAF972C56.jpeg

FEDB03BF-26D3-4ACD-BAFC-CF2C9B212B73.jpeg

AE503BA4-F0D9-4188-92EF-2E3027ED09AB.jpeg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

18 minutes ago, John S. said:

Dallas, TX

Late Cretaceous

85-88 mya

Found- 3/16, 4/18

Final prep- 4/18

Great finds John.

1 hour ago, JarrodB said:

Thanks buddy!

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

3 hours ago, John S. said:

Dallas, TX

Late Cretaceous

85-88 mya

Found- 3/16, 4/18

Final prep- 4/18

Wow, amazing find!!! :trilosurprise:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 days

24 hours and counting!

Someone’s excited :P ^

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

6 minutes ago, Ash said:

Someone’s excited :P ^

Definitely.

Found the weekend of the fossil show, 4/8/18 ?

Reptaria stolonifera  

Devonian

Cedar Valley Formation

Coralville Iowa

I will at the last minute, through in  Reptaria stolonifera  embedded on a cephalopod as an entrant. This is a beauty contest, isn't it???

DSC_0248-002.thumb.JPG.e20ddbe6d7b88fd7c2a4d7337d086b87.JPGDSC_0247-002.JPG.2f5d80ef485d121f00e8d3169f27bde4.JPG

DSC_0249-002.thumb.JPG.52552a11ad90f61c4fc5996f80f0a8f2.JPG

Archived