April 2018 - Finds of the Month-

Fossildude19

That skull is something else! Such competition this early in the month!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Just unburied this beauty yesterday.

Found Sunday, April 8th.

Carcharodon planus , (Hooked Tooth White Shark) 4.9cm

Mid.Miocene (15 mya)

Round Mountain Silt Formation

Ant Hill, Bakerfield, California

Prepped later that night.

20180409_184015.jpg

20180409_183951.jpg

20180409_183925.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 4/9/2018 at 10:17 PM, caldigger said:

Found Sunday, April 8th.

Carcharodon planus 

(Hooked Tooth White Shark) 4.9cm

Mid.Miocene (15 mya)

Round Mountain Silt Formation

Ant Hill, Bakerfield, California

Prepped later that night.

What a biggie! Btw, did Ant Hill reopen recently? This tooth really makes me want to go back to sth again over the summer

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

And the vertebrate plot thickens with a beautiful Planus!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

12 hours ago, caldigger said:

Found Sunday, April 8th.

Carcharodon planus 

So what is the measurement on that bad boy?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

42 minutes ago, ynot said:

So what is the measurement on that bad boy?

I'm not him, but eyeballing it, it looks an inch.

It states 4.9cm right next to the common name.

A nice size to find complete in that area.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

:doh!:

I need some glasses.:blush:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

So I was pretty much right! Wowie!

3 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

So I was pretty much right! Wowie!

Check your measurements kid. 4.9cm is just shy of 2 inches. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Oh wait...I put 3 as opposed to 4.9. Oops! :blush:

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

It’s ok. The metric system is so much cooler. :P

The metric system is superior unless you enjoy fractions... :o:faint:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

2 hours ago, piranha said:

The metric system is superior unless you enjoy fractions... :o:faint:

Or if you've been with the US Imperial system your entire life. :P

• I found this Informative 1

I remember back in the mid seventies they were thinking of changing the US over to the metric system. Still don't know what ever happened to that.

I just remember being in school and everyone was acting like it was an invasion attack from a foreign army.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Didn't America become Metric in the mid 70's?

Then it got removed again?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Our "adoption" of the metric system resulted in little more than adding (355 ml) to 12 oz Coke cans and including km equivalents to miles on our speedometers. We made an minor push at metrication to enable us to get on board with the rest of the planet but then industries complained that it would be too difficult to change things and humans are well known for resisting change and so it died on the vine without ever being fully adopted (outside of science). This leaves the US along with the scant company of Liberia and Myanmar (along with the tiny island nations of Samoa, Palau, Micronesia and the Marshall Islands) as the only hold-outs still using an old and arcane measuring system that uses silly units of measure that seem worthy of a Monty Python sketch these days. (Actually, Liberia and Myanmar are essentially metric though not officially leaving us even more out of step.) Who really wants to remember how many pints in a peck or pecks in a bushel anyway? Just be glad that our speedometers don't include furlongs per fortnight (very nearly 1 cm per minute, BTW) that we measure only horses with "hands" these days. Probably the only US industry to benefit in its adoption of metric sizes are the soft drink companies where the 2-liter plastic bottle is now somewhat standard and, of course, wine has always been sold in 750ml bottles.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

51 minutes ago, digit said:

Our "adoption" of the metric system resulted in little more than adding (355 ml) to 12 oz Coke cans and including km equivalents to miles on our speedometers. We made an minor push at metrication to enable us to get on board with the rest of the planet but then industries complained that it would be too difficult to change things and humans are well known for resisting change and so it died on the vine without ever being fully adopted (outside of science). This leaves the US along with the scant company of Liberia and Myanmar (along with the tiny island nations of Samoa, Palau, Micronesia and the Marshall Islands) as the only hold-outs still using an old and arcane measuring system that uses silly units of measure that seem worthy of a Monty Python sketch these days. (Actually, Liberia and Myanmar are essentially metric though not officially leaving us even more out of step.) Who really wants to remember how many pints in a peck or pecks in a bushel anyway? Just be glad that our speedometers don't include furlongs per fortnight (very nearly 1 cm per minute, BTW) that we measure only horses with "hands" these days. Probably the only US industry to benefit in its adoption of metric sizes are the soft drink companies where the 2-liter plastic bottle is now somewhat standard and, of course, wine has always been sold in 750ml bottles.

Cheers.

-Ken

Although the UK is officially metric, in reality pounds and ounces, stones, inches, feet, yards and miles, pints and gallons and even furlongs in horse racing are still in common usage, among others.

Even here in Morocco, though the money is supposed to be metric, a good half of sellers still use rials, of which there are 20 to 1 dirham instead of 100 centimes. And 'hands' are still used for measuring animals.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

18 hours ago, Kane said:

It’s ok. The metric system is so much cooler. :P

Agreed! 

Your move, Americans. Seems like that idea in the 70s was one of the smartest ideas you had, shame you let it go! :P;)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Ok, not to digress from the discussion on imperial v. metric, but let's keep this space open and uncluttered for all the awesome April entries! ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

There is no debate when it comes to scientific publishing. 

You can use any system you like... as long as it is metric. :P

IMG.png.c8081ee31cecf6b37f884576ddea52bb.png

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi all,

I'd like to present my find from today (April 11th), and the best find I've ever made: an Ordovician eurypterid from Quebec!

This is a large (possibly the largest known) fragment of one of the earliest eurypterids, Megalograptus sp.

This come from the Pontgravé River Formation, which preserved fossils dating from the late Ordovician, near St-Mathias, Quebec, Canada.

The fossil might not look like much, but it's extremely rare, and of high scientific value.

Cheers,

Marc

Found April 11th

Megalograptus sp.

late Ordovician

Pontgravé River Formation

St-Mathias, Quebec, Canada.

DCS_5666.thumb.JPG.2f288164c7af14837572c04bb94147f8.JPG

Megalograptus | www.pixshark.com - Images Galleries With A ...

• I found this Informative 3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

On 4/11/2018 at 10:36 PM, MarcusFossils said:

Hi all,

I'd like to present my find from today (April 11th), and the best find I've ever made: an Ordovician eurypterid from Quebec!

This is a large (possibly the largest known) fragment of the very early and rare eurypterid Megalograptus sp.

This come from the Pontgravé River Formation, which preserved fossils dating from the late Ordovician, near St-Mathias, Quebec, Canada.

The fossil might not look like much, but it's rare, and of high scientific value.

Cheers,

Marc

Neat. Been a while since I've seen the sea scorpions make their rounds.