Connecticut Dinosaur Tracks

Masp

I really dislike when people do this to footprints. 

I'd rather see something reversible used.  

The dark paint makes seeing the contours of the rock difficult. 

Here is my take on your plate. 

98298317-3CE6-45B0-9C46-9EB3C55A8DAE.thumb.jpeg.cdf21ab81d4efb02f02ae11bd8fefd88.jpeg

The dubious ones look like basically a crease in the rock that they added side toes to. :( 

The only definitely real one is the Eubrontes

The possibly real ones look like toe marks, but not complete prints. 

Again, really hard to judge from these pictures. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Cannot add much to Tim's analysis.  The dark paint used is not the best to help analyze the prints.

It's not exactly the very very latest ,but i found the following somehow useful 

eubront.jpg

eubront.jpg

Do you all recommend that I take off this paint/stain if possible and look at it like that? The seller said this stain can wash off. 

5 hours ago, Masp said:

Do you all recommend that I take off this paint/stain if possible and look at it like that? The seller said this stain can wash off. 

It is always a little risk involved when removing paint form a fossil. If your using just water or a chemical. Try testing the rock reaction on the back of the plate first. If that looks ok then first try the like print that Tim marked in blue on the edge of rock. Cotton wool buds are good. Take your time don’t rush it.  Sorry I can’t be 100% what the best chemicals to use is but somebody will know. But if your are happy with the fossil been highlighted for display . Then leave it alone.

cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...

Following up on this topic: 

I’m trying to undue all my rookie mistakes from the past year. 

When the dino track slate was sold  to me, the seller told me that the darkened, painted footprints were done with a shoe polish that is easily removable. 

I wanna give it a shot. I may want to attempt to remove the shoe polish. 

Now worse case scenario, I leave the slate as is, however,  if possible, I would like to remove the stains, and redo the footprints for two reasons:

a.) so the footprints don’t look sloppy and just, literally, painted on.  Aesthetically I’m not a fan. 

and 

b.) to determine and mark the dinosaur tracks that are actually dinosaur tracks, and not exaggerations. 

What is the safest way to go about this without damaging the specimen?

I believe the seller said water can do the trip. I just don’t want to risk it and am not sure how to go about it. 

The Eubrontes track is beautiful, but I would like to adjust the other things with the slate being fresh, to truly determine if the other tracks are really tracks or not.