What kind of leaf?

Darko

Can anybody tell me what kind of species is this? I found it in a Marl stone quarry of Popovac,Serbia.

Maybe possible Myrica lignatum?

20180405_133042.jpg

Nice leaf. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Great find I be really pleased. Sorry can’t help with an ID

It's not a problem.Thanks :D

It would be most expedient if you could find a scientific journal article that records the fossil flora of that formation to help you narrow down likely candidates.  Identification of a single leaf without the aid of previous research on the flora of a site can be very difficult, often involving detailed study of the venation patterns and comparing with cleared leaves (ideally) [cleared leaves are modern leaves where all but the veins are dissolved away, highlighting the venation]. With all that being said, the genus Salix might be a good place to start your comparisons for this specimen.

Here's a paper I found via a quick Google search which may or may not be helpful:

Late Miocene to Early Pliocene vegetation of southern Europe (7–4 Ma) as reflected in the megafossil plant record

Johanna Kovar-Eder, Zlatko Kvaček, Edoardo Martinetto, Paul Roiron

Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 238 (1-4), 321-339, 2006

I agree with that it might be younger than Miocene. :)

1-s2.0-S0264817215000379-gr2.jpg.a8273d4dd379d84b4ff9e7eebfd61920.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

What a great specimen! congrats! Looks like abyssunder and doushantuo have some insight that I dont. Are we able to establish what age/formation the rocks are in the quarry are with any certainty? 

Regards, Chris 

1 hour ago, Plantguy said:

What a great specimen! congrats! Looks like abyssunder and doushantuo have some insight that I dont. Are we able to establish what age/formation the rocks are in the quarry are with any certainty? 

Regards, Chris 

Mostly miocene.

1 hour ago, Plantguy said:

Regards, Chris 

Thanks!

I made some research and I find that the plant fossils of that area might be of  Helvetian in age, according to N. Krstik et al. 2012. The Neogene Lakes on the Balkan Land. Annales Geologiques De La Peninsule Balkanique 73: 37-60.

" Allochtonous, macroflora is represented by forests stretching along the river margins, called riparian or galerian flora. It has its climatic value, but changes in short cycles and depends on the exposure. A large study of Serbian flora by PANTIĆ (1956) was completed by MIHAJLOVIĆ (1978), which placed Serbian sites not far from the Morava Valley, but to the east (Melnica, Rakova Bara, Popovac, Misača), and Slanci near Belgrade into subtropical Helvetian (early Middle Miocene). Palynological analyze of silt from the Ribnica River in Mionica gave again a subtropical climate (VASS et al. 2006). Only one site in the Levač County of central Serbia, in village Kaludra, contained macroflora of Lower Miocene age, equivalent to the Upper Ottnangian-Karpatian (MIHAJLOVIĆ 1988). "

Now you can search for the Helvetian fossil terrestrial plant leaves which match your specimen, either from the vicinity of Tuzla or from Bosnia and Herzegovina. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I made some research and I find that the plant fossils of that area might be of  Helvetian in age, according to N. Krstik et al. 2012. The Neogene Lakes on the Balkan Land. Annales Geologiques De La Peninsule Balkanique 73: 37-60.

" Allochtonous, macroflora is represented by forests stretching along the river margins, called riparian or galerian flora. It has its climatic value, but changes in short cycles and depends on the exposure. A large study of Serbian flora by PANTIĆ (1956) was completed by MIHAJLOVIĆ (1978), which placed Serbian sites not far from the Morava Valley, but to the east (Melnica, Rakova Bara, Popovac, Misača), and Slanci near Belgrade into subtropical Helvetian (early Middle Miocene). Palynological analyze of silt from the Ribnica River in Mionica gave again a subtropical climate (VASS et al. 2006). Only one site in the Levač County of central Serbia, in village Kaludra, contained macroflora of Lower Miocene age, equivalent to the Upper Ottnangian-Karpatian (MIHAJLOVIĆ 1988). "

Now you can search for the Helvetian fossil terrestrial plant leaves which match your specimen, either from the vicinity of Tuzla or from Bosnia and Herzegovina. :)

Thanks! :)

Your leaf has an elongated lanceolate form, toothed on the distal end. It might be close to Quercus ex gr. drymeja Unger with the "teeth", but with its elongated form looks more like a Myricaceae, possibly Myrica sp. , as you thought.

I tried to compare with Myrica cf. laevigata Heer described from the Early Miocene flora of Miljevina (Bosnia).

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Your leaf has an elongated lanceolate form, toothed on the distal end. It might be close to Quercus ex gr. drymeja Unger with the "teeth", but with its elongated form looks more like a Myricaceae, possibly Myrica sp. , as you thought.

I tried to compare with Myrica cf. laevigata Heer described from the Early Miocene flora of Miljevina (Bosnia).

Thanks man for the help! I knew that i was right :D

I'd like to mention with regard to Myrica that there seems to be a 2015 revision (Zidianakis/Kovar-Eder et al) .

Also I'd generally recommend inverted commas for "Helvetian".

A decent revision about this thema was made in 2004. :)

Quercus lignitum UNGER, 1847 =  Myrica lignitum (UNGER) SAPORTA, 1982
Quercus drymeja UNGER, 1847 =  Quercus drymeja UNGER - ETTINGSHAUSEN, 1878b

5aca857f91f75_Plate4.thumb.jpg.2be3e6f40c9d9d1da6aaea5c612cf681.jpg5aca8584b2394_Plate4_text.thumb.jpg.018ae35910bd9cc9e5fdd5a59c5a017c.jpg5aca858e16064_Plate7.thumb.jpg.5cc21a0b87360d4cb5e6670af83d900e.jpg5aca8592897f1_Plate7_text.thumb.jpg.580c4cc8008898e30afb6f4ce1a601a8.jpg

excerpt from J. Kovar-Eder et al. 2004. The Miocene Flora of Parschlug (Styria, Austria)  - Revision and Synthesis. Annalen Naturhistorisches Museum Wien 105 A: 45-159

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, abyssunder said:

A decent revision about this thema was made in 2004. :)

Quercus lignitum UNGER, 1847 =  Myrica lignitum (UNGER) SAPORTA, 1982
Quercus drymeja UNGER, 1847 =  Quercus drymeja UNGER - ETTINGSHAUSEN, 1878b

5aca857f91f75_Plate4.thumb.jpg.2be3e6f40c9d9d1da6aaea5c612cf681.jpg5aca8584b2394_Plate4_text.thumb.jpg.018ae35910bd9cc9e5fdd5a59c5a017c.jpg5aca858e16064_Plate7.thumb.jpg.5cc21a0b87360d4cb5e6670af83d900e.jpg5aca8592897f1_Plate7_text.thumb.jpg.580c4cc8008898e30afb6f4ce1a601a8.jpg

excerpt from J. Kovar-Eder et al. 2004. The Miocene Flora of Parschlug (Styria, Austria)  - Revision and Synthesis. Annalen Naturhistorisches Museum Wien 105 A: 45-159

Awesome info!! Thanks! @abyssunder

I would label that as Myrica cf. lignitum (UNGER).

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived