Benterataspis

Trilobite sites of NY

Benterataspis

Hello all, its been a very very long time since I've been on the fossil forum and I'm glad to be back! I've been doing some research on my own trying to scout out a place for me and a couple of friends to dig at once this snarge cold is gone here in NYC. I would love and appreciate a couple suggestions on where to go in NY state. I'm not particularly picky in terms of what I'd like to dig for but I just ask for recommendations that are easier to enjoy for novice paleontology enthusiasts (my friends). And by that I mean that I have come a long way from my spacious work space with sandblasters and chisels when I lived in Idaho, to a crowded NYC apartment! So whatever we dig for (hopefully something like classic Cambrian shale) can be appreciated without much gluing/blasting/prep. We would like to have a dig spot that isn't too treacherous or cramped with camping nearby! Thank you for your time, let me know!!

BEN

Kane

Do a forum search for "Penn Dixie" and feast your eyes. :) 

Here is the official site: https://penndixie.org/

Tidgy's Dad
13 minutes ago, Benterataspis said:

Hello all, its been a very very long time since I've been on the fossil forum and I'm glad to be back! I've been doing some research on my own trying to scout out a place for me and a couple of friends to dig at once this snarge cold is gone here in NYC. I would love and appreciate a couple suggestions on where to go in NY state. I'm not particularly picky in terms of what I'd like to dig for but I just ask for recommendations that are easier to enjoy for novice paleontology enthusiasts (my friends). And by that I mean that I have come a long way from my spacious work space with sandblasters and chisels when I lived in Idaho, to a crowded NYC apartment! So whatever we dig for (hopefully something like classic Cambrian shale) can be appreciated without much gluing/blasting/prep. We would like to have a dig spot that isn't too treacherous or cramped with camping nearby! Thank you for your time, let me know!!

BEN

Welcome back, Ben! :)

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of Penn Dixie specimens and they're great! 

Fossildude19

There is some Cambrian in Upstate NY (Lake George Area), but you will probably be finding more Devonian, Ordovician, and possibly Silurian sites. 

Onandaga Creek, (Little Falls) Deep Springs Road, Briggs Road, Cole Hill Road, and Penn Dixie are all represented with great threads here on the Forum. ;) 

Good Luck, and Welcome back.