Locating the Maquoketa Formation and other fossil-bearing shales in Missouri

chickenbutt

Hello all, first post here but have been a long time lurker. I graduated a few years back with a degree in earth science (primarily geared towards groundwater hydrology) but still consider myself a fossil amateur. I've done some fossil hunting in the past and have researched over some paperwork that I have but am curious if any of you guys have any experience finding the Maquoketa formation and other fossil bearing shales here in Missouri. I have found one small outcrop that has yielded trilobite parts and other fun things, but I'm looking to get back in the hobby and would love to hear if anyone can give me a general idea where to begin. Or if anyone wants to share their super secret spots feel free to let me know :P. Thanks all.

Edited by chickenbutt

Can't help, but a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Tryin to find that trilobite creek bed? B)

EDIT: Ill toss ya a bone...but the rest is up to you.

Howe, W. B. and Koenig, 1961, The Stratigraphic Succession in Missouri: Missouri Geological Survey and Water Resources, Vol XL. 2nd Series

...I'm back.

16 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

Tryin to find that trilobite creek bed? B)

EDIT: Ill toss ya a bone...but the rest is up to you.

Howe, W. B. and Koenig, 1961, The Stratigraphic Succession in Missouri: Missouri Geological Survey and Water Resources, Vol XL. 2nd Series

Thank you! I found a really awesome website with field trip guides that is going to help me immensely. Appreciate you throwing me a bone :)