LuxAeterno87

Would anyone be able to help with identification of this fossil? They always called in an alligator, but I'd like to try and figure out what it actually was. It was found in the corner of Southeast BC. We were under the sea for a little while, and also a little marshy peninsula type thing after the western interior started to retreat. Where it was found was near where we find ammonites and corals, so im assuming it would have been when we were underwater, or near the shore where the body washed up. However about half an hour from here dinosaur prints have been found as well. I can't manage to figure out what it could be! Thank you for any help.

6319.jpg

jpc

Could that be an ichthyosaur head on the left portion of the concretion? 

FossilDAWG

I was also thinking an ichthyosaur in a concretion.  Besides the skull (eye and rostrum) you can see what appear to be ribs.  Ichthyosaurs have been reported from the Fernie Formation but I don't recall having seen this photo before.

Don

LuxAeterno87

Perfect, that's what I always thought it looked like too growing up, but then someone got a land reptile stuck in my head and it's been driving me crazy ever since!

This photo was taken in the early 1910's near Morrissey along the Elk River. There's a very small outcrop with concretions and ammonites and such. The spot in the photograph likely is gone now due to the river changes over the years. 

Thank you so much!

Bobby Rico

What a stunning photo thanks for sharing this and do you know who is in the picture? I am the Icthyosaur camp. 

LuxAeterno87

The man on the left is Lawrence Proctor. He was secretary at one of the lumber mills here. I can't remember who the boy on the right is. I've been trying to find where I put the old article all day. Also trying to figure out where the fossil went after it left the coal company offices here! 

Bobby Rico
28 minutes ago, LuxAeterno87 said:

Also trying to figure out where the fossil went after it left the coal company offices here!

What a fantastic puzzle, who is the boy, what and where is the beast now? Welcome to TFF from from Leicestershire. 

Tidgy's Dad

A wonderful photograph that leaves so many unanswered questions! 

Thanks for sharing. :)

oh, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.

This photo is now saved in a place where people will love it as you do. 

Foozil

Very interesting, and what a find! Welcome from Australia.

LuxAeterno87
22 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

What a stunning photo thanks for sharing this and do you know who is in the picture? I am the Icthyosaur camp. 

I lied yesterday! I finally found the article. Still no mention of the boy, but the man on the left is Tom Prentice, not Lawrence Proctor. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 2.52.28 PM.png

Bobby Rico
2 minutes ago, LuxAeterno87 said:

I lied yesterday! I finally found the article. Still no mention of the boy, but the man on the left is Tom Prentice, not Lawrence Proctor. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 2.52.28 PM.png

Thank you for the info it is really a beguiling photograph .

andreas

To me it looks like Triassic or Jurassic Ichtyosaur(just google Shastasaurus etc) Can you please show some ammonoids you have found. Maybe I can tell you a closer age then(if the ammonoids come from the same layers).

FossilDAWG

Fantastic!  We have gone from a mysterious but very intriguing photograph to an identification of the fossil and one of the two people in the photo, where the photo was taken, and the current location of the fossil.  This community is amazing.

Thanks LuxAeterno87 for bringing us this mystery, and thanks Scott (piranha) for tracking down the answer.

Don

Auspex

This has been a wonderful, quirky topic. I thank LuxAeterno87, and everyone who participated. Especially piranha for filling in the fascinating blanks!

If we were ever to create a compilation of 'TFF greatest hits', this one would be in it.:)

Bobby Rico
5 minutes ago, Auspex said:

TFF greatest hits',

For me too, I have been captivated by this old black and white photograph. 

DPS Ammonite

@LuxAeterno87 Where did you find the photo? Museum, personal collection? Is there "the rest of the story"?

KimTexan
34 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Fantastic!  We have gone from a mysterious but very intriguing photograph to an identification of the fossil and one of the two people in the photo, where the photo was taken, and the current location of the fossil.  This community is amazing.

Thanks LuxAeterno87 for bringing us this mystery, and thanks Scott (piranha) for tracking down the answer.

Don

Yes! That is very impressive. It was over 100 years ago and within the span of a few days the mystery is solved.

KimTexan
17 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

For me too, I have been captivated by this old black and white photograph. 

I love old photography. For a number of years I spent a considerable amount of time scanning old family photos, some from the 1800s and trying to learn how to restore them.

piranha

In the previous post I withheld the collection number, but here it is, as this record is already accessible via the CMN online collections database.

IMG.png.6011710a3663ec523745efb2e879fedf.png

Bobby Rico
22 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I love old photography. For a number of years I spent a considerable amount of time scanning old family photos, some from the 1800s and trying to learn how to restore them.

Me too Kim. How are you restore them?

LuxAeterno87
On 4/10/2018 at 3:44 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Don

You're all more than amazing! And yes, thank you very much to Piranha. With the information I've gathered through all of you, and my own research, I think it's safe to say that the "boy" in the photo is Tom Prentice, and the older man is William Wilson. I read that the Fernie grey shales are Callovian, and because of other Ichtyosaur's found in North America, all I can guess is that it's an Opthalmosauridae Ichtyosaur. 

I am so thankful for all of you and this forum! I've had this photograph since I was a child, copied from my Grandfather, and it was always a favorite. I work at the Museum here in Fernie now and came across it again, that's what re-sparked my interest!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am now going to contact the Canadian Museum of Nature and see if they had taken any additional photographs. I will let you know if im successful!