Another Asaphus prep (different dude)

DevonianDigger

So, I too, have finally decided to tackle a Russian bug. I have a handful that are in need of prep. I decided to start working on one that I had that is a nice size, but was pretty banged up to begin with, which is a really great thing, because for reasons that I can't quite explain I went on an excavation above the cephalon clear through the matrix and into the fossil without even knowing it until it was too late. :( Really a bummer that I did that, a very amateur mistake. 

BEFORE:

image.thumb.png.38ad44cf3039dce22e231c6ebaa901ec.png

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

2 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

It happens to us all:(.  But otherwise looking good!:dinothumb:

Thanks! I must've been thinking that there was a dip in between the eyes, when it was quite the opposite. Perfect example of why knowing the anatomy of what you're trying to prep is the most important first step. I was too eager to try out the scribe on the Russian material :/

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

17 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

CURRENT:

image.thumb.png.075426e7b948fc796236d2180a3965e5.png

This is as far as I got before the stylus I was using on my new scribe broke... So now I have to wait for a new stylus to come in next week.

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's one of those times you get that dreadful empty feeling inside, like you've lost someone close. 

I'm sorry, we've all done it and know how horrible this feels. :(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

And that ladies and gentlemen is why you practice on a "beater" bug first.

At least now you have a better insight on its anatomy and can avoid such mistakes in the future. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Been there, done that.  I know the pain.  You can use a 2 part putty epoxy.  Ive just learned that it comes in different colors.  I myself use the white putty and color it with masonry powder.  You can shape and sculpt it before it sets or even after it cures.  Good luck

RB

A pretty good start, Jay, despite the "oops." We've all been there. Perhaps if you have a Dremel, that might bide time while waiting for the stylus... Just use the usual careful angle of attack to pop off the matrix. Is it slightly disarticulated at the pygidium? If so, that's a spot to be careful with (although judging by your first pic, it seems attached?). 

If you can fill in that one "oops" spot, I think this one will turn out nice. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The discovery crack runs right through the connecting edge of the pygidium, it appears to have been glued back together somewhat hastily. But there are many other spots that are less-than-perfect on this big guy, so it will be a project.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

It is a great practice piece, though. Might be worth soaking some acetone in and reattaching the piece with glue if you want to align it "just right" (it looks pretty good as it is, though). The right side should come out nice and clean, although the left has some missing pleurae bits. :(  If you were feeling really adventurous, you could poke around (very carefully!) underneath the cephalon to see if there is a hypostome there. But I suppose just getting the dorsal part cleaned up is the top priority on this one. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 2 weeks later...