ID?

Darko

Hey guys!

As u know i posted once picture of this fossilized tree here, i only had one pic.Now i clear it up and took few photos.Can anyone tell me which species can this be or something else more?

I found this in my friends garden btw. :D

20180406_204150.jpg

20180406_213003.jpg

20180406_213033.jpg

20180406_213009.jpg

Nice piece.

In order to identify wood You have to look at the cellular structures of the wood.

Most petrified wood does not have enough cellular detail to classify.

You can search for literature on the site that may identify the woods that are present in the formation.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, Darko said:

@ynot what about this?

Still not close enough to see how the vesicles and rays are aligned within the rings.

You would also need to cut and polish the cross section to get a proper view of the placements.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

11 minutes ago, ynot said:

Still not close enough to see how the vesicles and rays are aligned within the rings.

You would also need to cut and polish the cross section to get a proper view of the placements.

I don't have the tools to polish that...

41 minutes ago, Darko said:

@ynot what about this?

20180406_213102-1.jpg

I have similiar Miocene wood from northern California with chevron folding. Several people told me that the chevron folding was due to the compression of the wood during burial and was not the original texture.

P1020126 - Copy (1280x1087).jpg

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Like Tony said, you probably can't get a definitive ID unless you know what kind of wood was found in the Formation, and cut and polished samples are studied by petrified wood experts. ;) 

Cool piece I would just label "Petrified Wood"

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

29 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Like Tony said, you probably can't get a definitive ID unless you know what kind of wood was found in the Formation, and cut and polished samples are studied by petrified wood experts. ;) 

Cool piece I would just label "Petrified Wood"

Thanks! But the real formation is unknown cause it was found in the garden and that's not original place ,my friend tried to use it as a decoration for the garden...:D :D

• I found this Informative 1

41 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I have similiar Miocene wood from northern California with chevron folding. Several people told me that the chevron folding was due to the compression of the wood during burial and was not the original texture.

P1020126 - Copy (1280x1087).jpg

Looks really similar! Awesome find!

The original post is here:

I still want to see an end view of it (a photo taken from the direction where your palm is in pictures 2&4 of the recent topic).

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

34 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

The original post is here:

I still want to see an end view of it (a photo taken from the direction where your palm is in pictures 2&4 of the recent topic).

Thank you!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library